• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Al's liner

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Anyone mix up and use Al's liner for their tub? I have some that is a few years old and the part A is jelled. If I mix it, I can get it to mix somewhat but is does not really flow. I broke the little plastic mixer off inside of it. The primer is nothing but complete gel. Take a chance and mix it up or start fresh with something else? Looking for some insight.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used Al's liner. Time for you to start new. If you use Al's liner mix half at a time and go it sets up pretty quick and a full kit in the hopper is too heavy and easily spilled. If you add rubber crumb, a full bottle of crumb is enough for 5 trucks. You need more than 1 kit to do the whole floor, the bed sides, up under the rail, the tailgate and up under the firewall. I would use it again but wouldn't use the hopper gun. I would mix smaller batches and use a schutz gun instead.

redline8300

I used Al's and really happy with it. I wouldn't use that mix on anything all that is important, sounds like each item has been compromised and most likely won't hold up/stick.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
You could try mixing in some med reducer into the urethane but it might be too far gone with age. I put in reducer when I shoot as I like a thinner mix
That adhesion promoter is done. It's light sensitive and ages out quick

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Thanks guys. Buying fresh tomorrow. Will probably mix it all together and let it set so I can get rid of it as solid waste which is much easier up here than liquid.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I sprayed mineafter the material sat on my shelf for about 8 months. The adhesion promoter was thick and was very difficult to apply using the spray bottle supplied....I ran out about 3/4 of the way and had to expedite shipping another kit.....I took great care in sanding and prepping all surfaces and ended up with nearly every inverted corner having a "material bridge" where the liner pulled away from the surface while drying. The liner on the tailgate peeled off in 1 sheet like teflon.....Might have been the old adhesion promoter....Overall I was not impressed....This was not my 1st liner to apply, but I went with Als due to the color(tan) and the HNR.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Looking at the Raptor product. Looks much easier to handle. Just need to find it local at a decent price before I go online and order it.

sburks737

I recently did the Raptor as an undercoating. Could have used maybe two more bottles to make it real even and thicker. Overall pretty good stuff although i havent road tested as Im still building. That being said...I will be using Linex for the inner tub.

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
I sprayed mineafter the material sat on my shelf for about 8 months. The adhesion promoter was thick and was very difficult to apply using the spray bottle supplied....I ran out about 3/4 of the way and had to expedite shipping another kit.....I took great care in sanding and prepping all surfaces and ended up with nearly every inverted corner having a "material bridge" where the liner pulled away from the surface while drying. The liner on the tailgate peeled off in 1 sheet like teflon.....Might have been the old adhesion promoter....Overall I was not impressed....This was not my 1st liner to apply, but I went with Als due to the color(tan) and the HNR.

Did your HNR peel off the metal, or did the liner peel from the HNR?

I just did HNR & liner 2x because the HNR didn't stick to the tub. Peeled up in sheets, except where it stuck (about 25% stuck & took many, many hours to remove). I called their tech line & they replaced the HNR & liner, but obviously it was my labor to reprep. They said the HNR doesn't have much adhesion and that etch prime is NOT adequate for the HNR on bare metal. I wasn't really impressed with how HNR "stuck" to the old paint, so I ended up epoxy priming the whole tub before shooting it the second time. I wouldn't trust HNR over anything old or possibly contaminated, ever again. I assume the same for Lizard Skin. The end result is good, can't wait to get it on the road & see how the HNR works. I used a shutz gun and liked it for the whole tub job, but the hopper works ok for less complicated jobs.

We shoot the Scorpion (commercial name of Al's) at work regularly, and have very good luck with it.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
The HNR has stuck fairly well....I didnt have much expectation in it holding up by itself based on what I have seen used in an industrial setting(Power plants, Papermills, etc..)
The Als liner didnt stick to the existing coating, didnt stick to itself( I dont think I exceeded the recoat window, but maybe...) nor did it adhere to the HNR in some places. It did however stick very well to the Duplicolor bed liner that was prepped on the tailgate and wheel wells....Unfortunately the duplicolor material peeled off.....

gunnibronco

Loc.
Gardnerville, NV
The HNR has stuck fairly well....I didnt have much expectation in it holding up by itself based on what I have seen used in an industrial setting(Power plants, Papermills, etc..)
The Als liner didnt stick to the existing coating, didnt stick to itself( I dont think I exceeded the recoat window, but maybe...) nor did it adhere to the HNR in some places. It did however stick very well to the Duplicolor bed liner that was prepped on the tailgate and wheel wells....Unfortunately the duplicolor material peeled off.....

Ok that is a mess. Thanks for the response.

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looking at the Raptor product. Looks much easier to handle. Just need to find it local at a decent price before I go online and order it.

I used raptor on mine and am happy with the result.

OP
OP
fatboy

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
I ordered a Raptor kit and it should be home when I return from the West Coast Friday.