• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

alternator upgrade

LowerDixie

Loc.
Thomasville, Al
Hey,<br><br>I finaly got a winch and some driving lights for the bronco but I know I'll have a charging problem with the stock alternator. What would work well with a 8000 lb up-right Warn and tow KC running lights. I'm sure some of you have installed duel batteries but I'd rather not get into that now. Its a 1977 with no air.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=LowerDixie link=board=5;threadid=8954;start=0#63883 date=1031707536]<br>Hey,<br><br>I finaly got a winch and some driving lights for the bronco but I know I'll have a charging problem with the stock alternator. What would work well with a 8000 lb up-right Warn and tow KC running lights. I'm sure some of you have installed duel batteries but I'd rather not get into that now. Its a 1977 with no air. <br>[/quote]Buy an optima battery! Thats what I have with a stock altinator and have never had a problem with it.I also have a 8000 LB. winch.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I had the stock 65 amp one, but it started to make noise so I bought a '74 Lincoln Continental Alternator and it works way better. At idle with the heater on, the subs pounding, a blender going on the ole' power inverter, my high beams on, and with the electric fan going I was still turning 14 volts. I have one of those Exide Orbital (basically a Kragen's version of Optima) I got it free so it works. I have a 9000 lbs winch and the alternator upgrade will be worth your money. Dual batteries would be overkill. You want to maintain a constant voltage with all your accessories on so a bigger Alternator is what you want.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Yeah, but the case is bigger than the stock one. All the wiring is direct from stock. It's really close to the frame if you still have that massive airpump bracket. I took that off since I don't have a thermactor port in my heads anyways. With the bracket on the alternator belt is pretty close to the lower radiator hose so I opted to move it to where the old bracket used to be. Hope this helps...

lpsolo

Loc.
Fresno, CA
Now if you are really rich and want to light up a city on the side, get the 200 amp alternator from quickstart. This would solve any problems you would have running your electrical equipment. ;D This alternator can be found at www.alternatorparts.com