• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AM Radio rechrome

1Zonian

Bronco crew....looking to rechrome my original bronco radio faceplate before seeing if Gary Tayman can upgrade. It did not appear that Gary offered chrome services. Any suggestions or referrals? Thank you! Dale Hickman; 1976 EB Sport

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I use a chrome shop in Tucson Arizona that does pretty nice work, getting expensive because of the nickel price and copper Triple plating . they tend to wear off some of the detail, which I don’t like. I think most chrome shops are going to get shut down by the EPA . They opened up a chrome shop in Nogales Mexico recently I’m seeing some of their work is pretty nice. I would just be worried about getting the part back. On your part is pot metal so they would have to fill the pits or buff them out I have a friend that has a factory radio and I think it’s a real nice shape. I will get back with you once I get back into town to check on it.

amfw

One of my customers for my stock faceplate/Bluetooth radio had two faceplates done by DGM Chrome in Philadelphia, and Don the owner there did a very nice job. I do not have much experience with getting stuff rechromed, but I have heard that the finished product depends on the condition of the metal, so if you are gonna throw the money at rechroming it, try and have one that hasbdecent surface condition to start. I have about 7 faceplates on hand right now, and would like to get some of them rechromed, so I'm glad to see other people chiming in with alternatives.

amfw

20230603_094042.jpg
20230603_094033.jpg
This one was the less good of the two. You can see in the close up some of the potting that remained. I didn't have the opportunity to see this one before it was re chromed so I can't speak to the before/after surface condition.

OP
OP
1Zonian

1Zonian

Thanks for all the replies, great info.
I use a chrome shop in Tucson Arizona that does pretty nice work, getting expensive because of the nickel price and copper Triple plating . they tend to wear off some of the detail, which I don’t like. I think most chrome shops are going to get shut down by the EPA . They opened up a chrome shop in Nogales Mexico recently I’m seeing some of their work is pretty nice. I would just be worried about getting the part back. On your part is pot metal so they would have to fill the pits or buff them out I have a friend that has a factory radio and I think it’s a real nice shape. I will get back with you once I get back into town to check on it.
Thanks! Good advice....,my original radio is in decent shape and works, so I may just keep it the way it is. I had replaced it with the toms bronco retro radio and that works fine, I just like keeping the original stuff and restoring when I can. Thanks again.