• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Amazed and Help Decoding Factory Interior (Seat) Tags

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
Boy, I would try to save that mat, someone out here would pay good money for that. I've never seen one of those in person before. Super rare for it to be in tact.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, "intact" is the operative word for sure. Even the rear piece I have is not in great shape, and I retired it when it was less than 10 years old!
I've even been toying with the idea of buying a new black one, then using some parchment-clone vinyl/rubber paint over it. Then wipe it down to expose the high spots back to black.
The original had multi-hued highlights, but not sure how it was accomplished. Did Ford (or their vendor) simply dye the parchment ones to get the different Ranger colors?

Paul

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
If it was me, I would remove the mat and preserve it. They can get crunchy. Your floors look great but the mats will capture moisture and cause rust if you ever do have a water leak. You will also find yourself constantly wondering what is going on under that mat if the carpet ever gets wet. Carpet, and mass backing can be easily dried without fully removing them but you would have to take the mat out to be sure no water was underneath.
The mass backing is usually made of recycled fabric so there is no telling what might be in it. It appears to be mostly cotton. Safest thing to prevent sticking might be some type of craft paper or a coated paper like butcher paper.
I figure that locating where I need to cut the holes in the new carpet for the seats, seat belts etc.. is pretty straight forward. The one carpet cut that has me scratching my head is the one for the J-Shifter. Aside from removing the shifter knob and boot, any suggestions or tricks for locating the spot on the new for the J-shifter will need to be cut?

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I figure that locating where I need to cut the holes in the new carpet for the seats, seat belts etc.. is pretty straight forward. The one carpet cut that has me scratching my head is the one for the J-Shifter. Aside from removing the shifter knob and boot, any suggestions or tricks for locating the spot on the new for the J-shifter will need to be cut?

It’s not too hard to do. You really have to do the shifter first. Don’t cut a circle out. Just cut an “x”. Then when you have it in and everything else cut and fitted, trim the hole out. That gives you some room to adjust if you are off a bit. Don’t trim your sides until you have all the holes cut and the seats and seatbelts installed. It’s even better to let it all settle for a day or two, in the heat if you have any…..

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
I found some time over the weekend to pull the carpet, original rear mat and underlayment. Shockingly, much cleaner than I expected.

See the rear corners by the roll bar... As a preventative measure, would it be a good idea to brush on POR-15 to the seams that are showing surface rust?

05507028dba4a5bc064531dc848075ef.jpg

d72222aa05d0a8e7cdf66d8741c42e5b.jpg

bce354b7bd85732a78e01bf554b94ee6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
yes, always I say.
I don’t necessarily get all exotic with an encapsulator like POR 15, but at least something to stop the rust and then a quick shot of rust converting primer like that from rust oleum is actually quite long lasting.

BPerry

My rig ceases to amaze me. It’s been a never ending time capsule.

Getting ready to drop off my seats at the upholstery shop, this evening I removed the front seats and rear seat bench and seat back.

After I removed the rear seat back, I noticed that the seat cover was held together with hog rings. It seemed odd at the time but knew the original owner had them recovered. I pulled a few of the hog rings and found the original explorer upholstery in tact! I was blown away and every bit along the lines of how the original owner’s attention to preserving the rig over the years. See the first pic.

After I removed the driver’s seat, I flipped it over to remove the slider assembly and found the factory interior tags attached to the seat springs. I was blown away, again.

Does anyone know how to decode the factory interior tags?

d79e05df4a717f7f632aac12c4c07f60.jpg

2968576c954c55dca9a60f89d80b894c.jpg

2fb39c26c4c8258e8d986a2f74590cfe.jpg

4446b35821cf7e55969f76181eff13e4.jpg

I have the exact set up in my 73 Exp, Blue on Blue. I've been trolling the internet to find a reputable shop to re-use the coth and re-do the vinyl.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BP

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
I have the exact set up in my 73 Exp, Blue on Blue. I've been trolling the internet to find a reputable shop to re-use the coth and re-do the vinyl.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BP

Where are you located? Do you have the material?

BPerry

Where are you located? Do you have the material?

Arkansas. All the cloth is in great shape, front driver vinyl is what needs attention; due to the PO's Skyjacker lift and exiting the rig without a manlift... lol

Rear bench is great, my concern is matching the vinyl color and having someone do it correctly!

I'll post up some pic's when I get back to the shop Saturday.

BP

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
Arkansas. All the cloth is in great shape, front driver vinyl is what needs attention; due to the PO's Skyjacker lift and exiting the rig without a manlift... lol

Rear bench is great, my concern is matching the vinyl color and having someone do it correctly!

I'll post up some pic's when I get back to the shop Saturday.

BP

If you need OEM vinyl, call SMS Auto Fabrics. They should have the material in stock and can ship it to you.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with an upholstery shop in Arkansas, I'm in California.

OP
OP
S

syndicate1

Contributor
So today I “cleaned” the front and rear corners around the rim bar. Again, not what I was expecting. I’m just amazed at how clean it’s unfolding.

e1249423ba062c802c48fa6041fee8c3.jpg

562e7cddd5c547466318c360d2c9d2c0.jpg

58c0a6ff99159017421e4b3db6e2069c.jpg

4ef53e58cc8d78bb79b7bb678b027fea.jpg

b91dbdd9e88f2d5b45a278086ba20c6e.jpg

bc3e2e960f67892378b625b47fa172c0.jpg

d0dc3c09acccefb75160f515840e1c4b.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

Getting ready to drop off my seats at the upholstery shop, this evening I removed the front seats and rear seat bench and seat back.

After I removed the rear seat back, I noticed that the seat cover was held together with hog rings. It seemed odd at the time but knew the original owner had them recovered. I pulled a few of the hog rings and found the original explorer upholstery in tact! I was blown away and every bit along the lines of how the original owner’s attention to preserving the rig over the years. See the first pic.

After I removed the driver’s seat, I flipped it over to remove the slider assembly and found the factory interior tags attached to the seat springs. I was blown away, again.

These rigs, amaze us all at different times and different ways lol

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Correct! This is the original ‘74 blue explorer interior with the houndstooth cloth inset. Explorer’s came with a color matched interior (dashboard, carpet, seats and door & quarter panels). Ford also offered a second cloth inset options, indian blanket in addition to the houndstooth.

5b5d13b06083eaa1efe8539c306e907f.jpg

4f43fdc5933082dba3b2d31320db886f.jpg

Too nice...

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
yes, always I say.
I don’t necessarily get all exotic with an encapsulator like POR 15, but at least something to stop the rust and then a quick shot of rust converting primer like that from rust oleum is actually quite long lasting.

Definitely....

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Boy, I would try to save that mat, someone out here would pay good money for that. I've never seen one of those in person before. Super rare for it to be in tact.

that they do, amazing...

Mountaingoat0122

Do you have any more photos of the blue plaid fabric in the first photo you found under the seat cover ?
I’m to locate that fabric but have not been able to.

SeaVee

Contributor
Here’s a pic of my 77 Ranger interior. Zoom in on the seat and you can see the Ranger Houndstooth pattern. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make my replacement dash match this blue please chime in. Got a new parchment dash pad but really want it blue like the original. I have the Blue vinyl from SMS, can you “wrap” that over my parchment dash? I tried vinyl paint but can’t find exact match. IMG_2673.jpeg

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I would not try to wrap it. Take the original vinyl panel to a paint supply store that sells SEM vinyl paint. They can mix SEM to match. If they cannot put it in an aerosol can then get a cheap airbrush from Harbor Freight and spray it on. The stuff holds up great. Get a can of SEM satin clear to top coat it.