• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

American Autowire Crimpers needed

doublehfarm

Contributor
Loc.
Alabama
Anyone have a pair of those crimpers laying around? Thought id ask here before buying a set. Thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a link to them specifically?
I have a set of pertronix brand I really like a lot. Ratcheting crimpers with changeable heads, and a plastic case.

OP
OP
doublehfarm

doublehfarm

Contributor
Loc.
Alabama
Got a link to them specifically?
I have a set of pertronix brand I really like a lot. Ratcheting crimpers with changeable heads, and a plastic case.

No link just the ones that American Autowire sells with the kits. I tried another kind but ended up ruining about 5 terminals. Figured I would just get the ones they recommend. Really like their harness but the crimping situation isnt the best.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I bit the bullet and bought them (from Summit) when I did my 1st harness. I have used them quite a few more times on other AAW harnesses that I have installed. I think they are up to $160 for the pair now... Not sure there is anything special about them, other than being GM terminal specific. You might be able to find something that does the job for less $$. We joked on the NorCal Bronco site that we would buy one pair and them rotate them through the group. (Didn't happen)

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA

doublehfarm, I'm almost finished putting in an American Autowire kit into my '62 Ranchero.​

In the instructions, they're really specific about how they want the crimps. They also tell you that their connections are done on a GM five ton press.​

I found these type of terminals really odd. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing them with a crimper alone. I have been crimping, then soldering all of mine.​

There's nothing better than a soldered connection.​

This is a very inclusive kit. It's got all the plugs, and most of the new switches and sockets. I am a bit disappointed though that there was no protective sleaving, mounting clips or other installation stuff. I can't imagine going to the trouble and expense of a rewire and not put it in some sort of protective sleave to bundle things together.​

I bought a Painless Powerbraid kit and some harness tape to finish it up properly.​

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI1Irimqu2_QIVuCKtBh2v4ASVEAQYAiABEgLkcvD_BwE