• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ammeter Elimination with 3G

contactwilson

I am running a 3G with a stock 1993 Mustang EFI harness. I understand the ammeter cannot handle nor the stock bronco harness the output of the 3G. I have a 175 megafuse between the alternator and the starter relay. I am going to put a 50A maxifuse supplying the bronco harness from the starter relay.

The factory bronco harness has the heavy gauge black/yellow from the alternator plug with a heavy gauge black wire through the ammeter gauge returning to the battery with a fusible link.

Where and what do I remove to eliminate the ammeter? or should I use the black wire from the battery to a voltage gauge, then ground the gauge (obviously removed from the black/yellow wire connector)?....Do I also connect the black/yellow wire to the starter relay (side the alternator supplies) with the 50A maxifuse supplying the bronco harness.

Sorry for the longwinded explanation, but I don't want any fires.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You don't have to do anything with the Black w/red wire and fusible link at the starter relay. That's still going to power the fuse box and all other accessories.

The ammeter itself can handle the added amperage (even though it's only scaled to 60) because it's an inductive device, and has no physical connection to the circuit. I don't think the current is strong enough to bend the needle, but I suppose that would be the only possible problem with running 100+ amps through it.

The Black w/yellow wire from the alternator can either be left attached to the alt (though it gets a bit crowded there), attached to a terminal block for use as a feeder to other accessories like relays or stereos and such, or just cut off and capped and tied out of the way for safety.

Is that what you were asking?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For the volt gauge, you can hook it literally to any keyed-on wire under the dash. No need for a large wire, or any heavy-duty components. It's only sensing voltage and drawing enough current to move the needle. Very minimal.
But still enough that you don't want it hooked directly to battery power or it might drain the battery over time. Like a month or two?

What year is your Bronco? If a '70 or older, you might want to just unplug the two halves of the loop (black w/yellow and w/red) near the back of the ammeter and lose that one half of the circuit (the yellow half) all together. That way it's never going to be in danger of shorting out at the firewall plug behind the fuse box.

If your engine side of the harness is apart, you can simply remove the engine side of that wire up to the plug, and cut/cap/cover the hole in the plug.

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Attach the hot side of the voltmeter to the hot side of the IVR. Fuse the 2 ammeter wires and use them for an amplifier, or power inverter, or aux fuse box, or relays for lights... Whatever you might need in the 40-100A range.

OP
OP
contactwilson

contactwilson

Thanks guys. This answers my questions. I appreciate the input.

Dirt Donk - It is what I was asking. I will use the black/yellow for accessories. Also it is a 1972 and has the plug in connection between the two at the ammeter gauge.

Steve83 - Good idea for accessories also.