• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Angle grinder selection

brian72

Early Bronco Student
I ran my no name grinder into the ground last night. Need to get another. Should I get one from like harbor freight for $20 or get a name brand dewalt for $80?

thanks
brian

72_EB

66to77
How long did the Harbor Freight last you? I've had mine maybe a year and I think it is great bang for the buck.
Of course a gpod one will probably last a lifetime if you take care of it. Tough call.

HotWheels

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Twilight Zone
[quote author=brian72 link=board=5;threadid=22216;start=0#msg171197 date=1063810861]
I ran my no name grinder into the ground last night. Need to get another. Should I get one from like harbor freight for $20 or get a name brand dewalt for $80?

thanks
brian
[/quote]

exactly. do harbor freight. no shipping and no waiting. cheapcheapcheap.

Bronco Ben

Contributor
Jckofalltrdes master/none
Loc.
Coffeeville, Alabama
i went to sears after mine was stolen! (long storie) anyway, the harbor frieght is a good deal I mean heck if you use 4 of em you still only spent like maybe max of $60-80!!! Mine I have from sears is a makitta (however you spell it)!
Ben

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D Get a good one you can work them much harder than cheap ones the 9.95 ones wont take any load. If you have air that is the way to go they work heard and dont get hot good luck. ;D ;D ;D Bill 8) ::) :p

CodeeB

Loc.
Atlanta
I bought a cheapie from Northern about 4 or 5 years ago for $19.00 and used it very often. I dropped it a couple of weeks ago . It still works but I can't lock the trigger now. When my new parts come in I'm going back to Northern. If you have a Big Lots in your area they usually have the grinding discs for .69 cent.

Nuke

I bought I 4 1/2 grinder from harbor freight for about $16 on sale. I've dropped it too many times to count and it works like a champ. Now I've only owned it for about 6 months, but it has seen a lot of use. My only complait is the on/off switch.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I do alot of fab work so a cheap tool wasn't a option. I got a Milwaukee 4 1/2 angle grinder 7 amp model. Use it all the time........

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Stay away from brands marketed toward home use. They usually have too many buttons, like mine. One to release the off/on trigger and your other hand is used to press the button to hold the off/on in ON. One switch use is much niceer, click on/click off. Of course if you are a small child or an imbicile, get the one with the most buttons you can find.

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Another vote for Harbor Freight.

I bought mine years ago for $20, and I've used it to grind down (LOTS OF) welds, cut rusty bolts, cut out everything from rusty rocker panels to new .250 wall tubing, you name it.

The switch broke a while back, I just hot wired it so it comes on as soon as it's plugged in (gotta make sure it's not on the edge of the worktable when I do that).

The gears howl like crazy (even after regreasing), but the thing just won't quit, no matter how much I abuse it.

Brake Guy

Loc.
S.E. Michigan
My vote is name brand, Dewalt or Milwaukee. but that's just me I guess, I detest cheap tools, Craftsman is as cheap as I'll go for anything that I use alot.

I have a Dewalt and it is great, only trouble I had was I put a wire brush on to tight and broke the arbor lock button... my fault, a 20 dollar part and I was back in buisness, the brushes were in great shape when I had it apart. I use it all the time!

I have bene leaning towords Milwaukke more and more, I had to replace the chuck on my Dewalt 1/2 drill and it wasn't that old or used nearly as much as my grinder. Though the cobalt bits may have been what did it in.