• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another 408 build

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know...*yawn*. But this one is "supposed" to be better than my last one, thanks to the amazing benefits of hindsight. ;D

Got the block back from the shake-and-bake today. Virgin D7TE block.

Will be going .030 over with KB custom pistons from TMeyer. Have to get the block bored and then assemble one hole to figure out how much to cut off the deck.

Then off to the balance shop, including the new flywheel and Centerforce Df clutch that I bought off a member here a while back.

Have a custom 290-duration full roller cam setup for it..190cc heads with studs and guide plates, 2.07" stainless intake valves and 1.65" exhaust. Isky triple springs...SVO 1.73 roller rockers.

The only thing that is not sorted yet is the EFI. The manifold is sitting here but I'm still debating what to use for the throttle body and the ECM/harness.

There is still time.

Attachments

• DSCN0172.jpg
    DSCN0172.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
i'd go with the 3/4 cam myself bill.... just saying..

Yr dating yourself Nick. The cam in our flathead V-8 is a "3/4 race" cam.

Does that make one gay..when they date themselves? I ponder that question often.:p

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I know...*yawn*. But this one is "supposed" to be better than my last one, thanks to the amazing benefits of hindsight. ;D

Got the block back from the shake-and-bake today. Virgin D7TE block.

Will be going .030 over with KB custom pistons from TMeyer. Have to get the block bored and then assemble one hole to figure out how much to cut off the deck.

Then off to the balance shop, including the new flywheel and Centerforce Df clutch that I bought off a member here a while back.

Have a custom 290-duration full roller cam setup for it..190cc heads with studs and guide plates, 2.07" stainless intake valves and 1.65" exhaust. Isky triple springs...SVO 1.73 roller rockers.

The only thing that is not sorted yet is the EFI. The manifold is sitting here but I'm still debating what to use for the throttle body and the ECM/harness.

No yawns here. Keep us all posted.
I wish I had gone bigger. I guess you always do.

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You ditching the Commander setup? You can leave it by my mailbox with the other parts you offered. Thanks. :p

The new Holley system I bought (not Commander 950 MPI,.the nextgen system) is still NIB and I am not going to use it. Bax warned me off it..but I bought it anyway. IT's not compatible with hardly any of the Ford EFI components.

Leaning towards a Megasquirt solution this time around.

The other 408 that is running the Commander TBI..will continue to. And I have another one of those Commander TBI systems NIB that I'm planning on installing on FordFilly's 408 when I redo that one. It's a fairly new build..but got the wrong cam and the wrong intake gasket set when she had it built out west. Buncha amateurs out there in the western territories, ya know?;D

OX1

Bronco Guru
The new Holley system I bought (not Commander 950 MPI,.the nextgen system) is still NIB and I am not going to use it. Bax warned me off it..but I bought it anyway. IT's not compatible with hardly any of the Ford EFI components.

Leaning towards a Megasquirt solution this time around.

The other 408 that is running the Commander TBI..will continue to. And I have another one of those Commander TBI systems NIB that I'm planning on installing on FordFilly's 408 when I redo that one. It's a fairly new build..but got the wrong cam and the wrong intake gasket set when she had it built out west. Buncha amateurs out there in the western territories, ya know?;D

What is wrong with Holley's latest stuff? I'm also still trying to decide which way to go. The pane is out, just to much of a PIA filling tanks.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Have to get the block bored and then assemble one hole to figure out how much to cut off the deck.
I appologize for this question, since I don't even know enough about building an engine to be dangerous, but...

Why would you not assemble and measure the four corners? Seems like you would need to do that to make sure the block is decked square to the crank...

Sorry for being a DA, but I was just wondering...:p

OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
In this pic, we can see the "subtle" differences between the 302 "W" heads and the small-port 302C-2V heads. Who can tell which one is which?

Attachments

• DSCN0173.jpg
    DSCN0173.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN0174.jpg
    DSCN0174.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I appologize for this question, since I don't even know enough about building an engine to be dangerous, but...

Why would you not assemble and measure the four corners? Seems like you would need to do that to make sure the block is decked square to the crank...

Sorry for being a DA, but I was just wondering...:p

Seriously good question.

Unless I'm going for a squish distance of less than .005" tolerance, I'm comfortable with single-cylinder survey (
I check valve-piston clearance at the same time) . In this case. I'm going for around .010". So I'll go for that, and when we put the block in the mill (a very custom mill that is designed for cutting decks square to the crank lands), we'll assess the square issue and make some adjustments. A typical solution might arrive at .004 off of the back end of the A bank and .015 off the front end..and the reverse off the B bank ..chit like that.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am giving serious thought to switching to a F.A.S.T. computer to run / take the place of my commander computer. I talked to a local rep / tuner for fast and he can hook me up with everything I need. Then he can tune it. Cool thing is I can re-pin the connector and us the same harness. I will have to change the wide band. I have a 3 wire and the new ones are a 4 wire set up. Dont buy the new holly stuff. Holly has switched to all gm. Really no support for a ford application. Got a ford transmission, Sorry no controller or plug in's for that. The new Holley EFI has built in controllers in it, If you run a GM trans.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Misread or typo here...???

You said:
"I'm going for a squish distance of less than .005" tolerance, I'm comfortable with single-cylinder survey (
I check valve-piston clearance at the same time) . In this case. I'm going for around .010". "

I'm dialing in .037" squish on my 418 build. You can't run an engine with .005-.010" piston to head clearance

I just typed in this for a reference:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/squishcalc1.html

Good luck

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Please dont forget the head gasket thickness. If bill has 5 to 10 on the deck he will be fine with headgasket thickness added. I decked mine down to .003 and have had zero problems. 5 years running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmc69

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Misread or typo here...???

You said:
"I'm going for a squish distance of less than .005" tolerance, I'm comfortable with single-cylinder survey (
I check valve-piston clearance at the same time) . In this case. I'm going for around .010". "

I'm dialing in .037" squish on my 418 build. You can't run an engine with .005-.010" piston to head clearance

I just typed in this for a reference:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/squishcalc1.html

Good luck

I said...""I'm going for a squish distance of less than .005" tolerance"

So yes..you misread. The actual quench height I"m look for is around .040".;)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Whew, that's good.... :)

Can I ask, what do you mean by "tolerance"? You mean from one end of the the block to the other, or from one cylinder to the other?

Squish is defined as distance btw cylinder head and piston and since it's always referred to as an overall measurement (a final desired measurement) it would include gasket and all other variables. Like when you're decking a block, are you saying you are taking off .005" from manufacturers specs to flatten it out or are you decking the block so your piston is .005" above the deck ht or -.005" below the deck ht.

Like the 3/4 race cam comment posted earlier... :) I used to run a 30-30 Duntov cam years ago in my Chebby and we always called those "3/4" race... guess that was for guys like me that couldn't really race! lol

semantics...

Sounds like a good build...

Thunder26

He means as long as all of the cylinders are within that .005 he would be happy. Tolerance is just a machinist/engineers way of saying variance.