• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another LS thread- who’s actually done it?

Ahealey

first and foremost this is not going to be a thread about Ford vs Chevy- it’s going to be for information. I’m not building a purist truck, I’m building my truck now i want.

Long story short- my 302 i got will have to be completely gone through along with the transmission needing to be replaced for overdrive. Didn’t have any accessories etc either so would have to source everything.

I’ve done ls swaps before and seems pretty straight forward, plus have 4l60e, stand alone harness, a cam, multiple low price oil pans, etc just sitting on my shelf- so in long run would save me money over rebuilding the 302 (which i know I’d want a 351w and be a tacit hole) and upgrading to 5 speed along with being better for me to work on to have multiple ls vehicles at once.

Now to my questions-
Who has done the swap?
Did you use the 4l60 adapter from advance adapters to the Dana 20?
Any issues with truck style accessory brackets? Truck intake work with 1 inch body lift?

I know for a fact I’ll need the adapter for trans
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission-to-transfer-case/4l60e-to/kit-4l62 looks to be correct?

I’ll need to build my own trans crossmember
Need to weld in motor mounts.
Length shouldn’t be too far off but will need new driveshafts made

Just starting to put list together as I’ll have my chassis here next month or so and searching for a 5.3 since i have everything else.

Any tips or links to threads would be appreciated! I’ll be doing a build thread once my Chevelle is done w paint and can’t wait to dive in!

BanditBronco

Have you joined the LS Bronco group on Facebook? There is a dedicated group on there specifically for LS swapping EB's. Honestly, I would start there first, I bet there is a few hours of good reading to be had.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve done it……

It’s your truck build what you want. Just be mindful it may hurt resale but ultimately you may not care, I don’t.

Here’s a list of my notes.

Yes you’ll need the adapter to the 20, or an adapter and atlas. The OEM 4l60e transfercase options are not great candidates, they are too large and long. Sanderson S10 conversion headers fit nicely. Motor mounts are silly easy. 67-72 Chevy c10 mounts and ICT billet motor mount adapter plates. Cut a slot front to back in the top of the frame bracket for a piece of 1-1/4” angle iron to make a notch in the top of the frame bracket and bolt the motor in. Bronco radiator works but griffin makes a universal that works very well. Depending on lift, oil pan clearance can be an issue. If running a full width axle it is a moot point. A 1” body lift will clear the truck intake. car intake will clear stock hood with no body lift. Stock mechanical fan works too. Need a custom crossmember.

That engine bay looks like it was built for that motor and very little has to be changed. Ask as many questions as you want, I’ll do my best to answer.

OP
OP
A

Ahealey

Have you joined the LS Bronco group on Facebook? There is a dedicated group on there specifically for LS swapping EB's. Honestly, I would start there first, I bet there is a few hours of good reading to be had.
Just joined and damn lots of info! Thank you!

OP
OP
A

Ahealey

I’ve done it……

It’s your truck build what you want. Just be mindful it may hurt resale but ultimately you may not care, I don’t.

Here’s a list of my notes.

Yes you’ll need the adapter to the 20, or an adapter and atlas. The OEM 4l60e transfercase options are not great candidates, they are too large and long. Sanderson S10 conversion headers fit nicely. Motor mounts are silly easy. 67-72 Chevy c10 mounts and ICT billet motor mount adapter plates. Cut a slot front to back in the top of the frame bracket for a piece of 1-1/4” angle iron to make a notch in the top of the frame bracket and bolt the motor in. Bronco radiator works but griffin makes a universal that works very well. Depending on lift, oil pan clearance can be an issue. If running a full width axle it is a moot point. A 1” body lift will clear the truck intake. car intake will clear stock hood with no body lift. Stock mechanical fan works too. Need a custom crossmember.

That engine bay looks like it was built for that motor and very little has to be changed. Ask as many questions as you want, I’ll do my best to answer.
Thank you!! I just pmd you if you don’t mind. Didn’t think the engine mounts would be that easy?! I don’t have radiator or anything really so definitely good info here i appreciate it!

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I were going to use anything GM it would be the 700R, roller engine 302’s can be had for cheap. Some on here have done trans only

BGBronco

Contributor
N A S H V I L L E
Loc.
Tennessee
A friend of mine did this a few years ago and is currently in the process of completing another LS build. He's a really talented guy and does it all himself right down to paint and bodywork. He uses LS motors because he knows them and has access to them. I mentioned the resale issue at some point and it wasn't an issue to him. I do know its a lot of work and the support groups are obviously less than you get for a coyote swap. Hopefully, you can post some pics along the way.

OP
OP
A

Ahealey

If it fits, it ships. Yeller is my enabler and support group.
Yeller pushed me to your build thread and has given me a lot of info already, that looks like it was meant to be there!

Ended up getting a 5.3 this week and a 4l60e that needs rebuilt. 600 bucks for both. Gonna go through the engine myself and have someone rebuild the trans w the advance adapter kits and should be under 2k in the whole set up.

For me it makes sense- have parts already and have another car with similar set up. Easier on maintenance for me as well. I’ll start a thread once i start the swap :)

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Stupid LS motor being such a small package, light, powerful and modern.

I would do it in 95% of cars, but not in an CB. I usually think of classics as an investment, LS swap would make it tougher to sell. But done right, it would still be highly desirable.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Stupid LS motor being such a small package, light, powerful and modern.

I would do it in 95% of cars, but not in an CB. I usually think of classics as an investment, LS swap would make it tougher to sell. But done right, it would still be highly desirable.
yes sir.. all depends on the person right.. newer bronco crowd wouldn't even think twice on what the HP came from

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
first and foremost this is not going to be a thread about Ford vs Chevy- it’s going to be for information. I’m not building a purist truck, I’m building my truck now i want.

Long story short- my 302 i got will have to be completely gone through along with the transmission needing to be replaced for overdrive. Didn’t have any accessories etc either so would have to source everything.

I’ve done ls swaps before and seems pretty straight forward, plus have 4l60e, stand alone harness, a cam, multiple low price oil pans, etc just sitting on my shelf- so in long run would save me money over rebuilding the 302 (which i know I’d want a 351w and be a tacit hole) and upgrading to 5 speed along with being better for me to work on to have multiple ls vehicles at once.

Now to my questions-
Who has done the swap?
Did you use the 4l60 adapter from advance adapters to the Dana 20?
Any issues with truck style accessory brackets? Truck intake work with 1 inch body lift?

I know for a fact I’ll need the adapter for trans
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/transmission-to-transfer-case/4l60e-to/kit-4l62 looks to be correct?

I’ll need to build my own trans crossmember
Need to weld in motor mounts.
Length shouldn’t be too far off but will need new driveshafts made

Just starting to put list together as I’ll have my chassis here next month or so and searching for a 5.3 since i have everything else.

Any tips or links to threads would be appreciated! I’ll be doing a build thread once my Chevelle is done w paint and can’t wait to dive in!

I’ve done an LS in a 78 CJ7. 4l60E. I think a Bronco would be much easier. Much more room.

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sadly I cant keep a car too long so I would always have the value in the back of my mind. I would rather do a built 302 than a LS in a Bronco because of that. I will be doing an LS swap in my 77 Blazer Chalet though. I think that will be a great choice.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Nobody has really talked money and HP yet. I know in the BroncoLS group it has but dollars per HP is definitely pennies on the dollar when you get over the 500HP mark. LS motors are cheap everywhere and easy to make HP with.

Your build, do it!