• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another newb questions-Drum Brakes

Nickrp

OK, so when I bought my bronco the PO said it had "power assist" brakes (Drum all four wheels), whatever that means (again newb here). Anyway, when i hit the brakes, i have to push the pedal pretty far before the brakes engage, and they are pretty 'squishy'. BUT sometimes ill go to hit the brakes, and the pedal will engage right away and feel very firm.
Is there something wrong with my brakes? If so, what would be the fix?

MattW

Well... There could be a number of things. I would start with bleeding the lines to make sure there is no air in the system and probably wouldn't hurt to replace the master cylinder either. You can pick up a new one at a local parts store for ~$25. Would also check all your lines as well, especially the rubber ones. If they're original and like most, they probably need replacing.

The "power assist" is a vacuum system that helps with braking. Instead of your right leg doing all the work you get a little extra help.

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

what would it cost to run the steel brake lines? Those are more durrable correct?

MattW

Most of the vendors sell the SS braided lines to replace the rubber ones. They're usually a few dollars more. Personally, I'd just stick with the rubber ones, but that's just me. Here's a link to Jeff's site for the rubber and stainless lines for price comparison - http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-752 Note that some are year specific.

Another problem you could have is a vacuum leak on your booster or a bad booster. Just more things to consider.

If money isn't a problem, I'd suggest tearing into the brakes and replace virtually all the components. Swap out the front drums for discs (optional, but nice upgrade). New wheel cylinders, shoes and drums on the rears. New master cylinder and check for vacuum leaks. The costs do add up, but we're talking brakes here. Driving without solid brakes is just asking for trouble and potentially testing the limits of your insurance coverage.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And with drums, part of the "mushy" feeling could be the brakes being out of adjustment or the shoes just being old and needing to be replaced.
Just being out of adjustment won't make it feel mushy, but it will contribute to a longer pedal throw before anything happens. Sort of magnifying other problems, like air in the lines or a worn out rubber line that's bulging out under pressure.

You can sort of test the adjustment theory (on the rear brakes at least) by pushing the parking brake down a couple of clicks to see if the brake action improves. If so, then your rear brakes need some adjusting.

Really though, since this truck is new to you, and we never know what evil deeds the PO's have done, you should just use this opportunity to inspect the whole system and replace anything needed.
Brake fluid gets old, front wheel bearings need re-packing, rear wheel bearings need periodic replacement (every 90k to 100k miles) and most PO's (previous owners) seem to never change, adjust, or fix, anything on a Bronco, before they sell them.

So maybe it's time to bite-the-bullet and take some things apart to have a good look-see.
Could turn out to be cheap insurance, if you find something about to fail catastrophically.

Paul

OP
OP
N

Nickrp

Yeah, i know the front barrings need to be repacked, and I am thinking of swapping the fronts out to disc so I will most likely pull the whole thing apart soon anyway. thanks for the advice all!