• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

...another turn signal/brake thread, sorry

barronj

Bronco Guru
When it was down, before going off to paint, I put in a new turn signal switch.

The turn signals no longer work, the brakes don't work either.

I had my wife print off a full color, full size wiring schematic, and I still can't figure out why it's not working. I have 12v at the brake switch (it's new too), all the wires at the main column plug (the 6 pin underneath the dash) all match up like they're suppose to...

The tail lights are grounded fine, I sent 12v to them at the plug off the firewall in the the engine bay & they lit up.

Anyone give me a tip or two on how to track this down?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Do you have 12V at both sides of the brake switch when the pedal is pressed?

Do the hazard lights work on all 4 corners?

Do the running lights all work?

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
12v at both connections on the switch when depressed.

Never had a functioning hazard switch, recently installed one, then part of the bezel mount broke off. It's pulled out of the dash, and currently (as of today) disconnected from the plug.

It's a '68, so when the headlights are on, the tail lights & headlights are lit, but the front parking lights/signals are not.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
From the brake light switch the brake current goes directly to the turn signal switch. I'd check the turn signal connector for 12V going in and coming out. It goes in on the red-black and comes out on the yellow (left) and green (right) wires. After that it goes to the 4-pin connector under the hood.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
To update, I ran a bunch of individual tests so see where the problem was.

The stoplight switch was good, then failed, so I got a new one.

The small blue plug where the yellow / green (out to the lights) connect to the orange / green (from the turn signal) wasn't connecting right b/c of a broken catch/stop on one of the pins, so only the DS light would come on when 12v was applied directly.

Some wiring adjustments, a new switch, and I'm good to go. Hazard switch is still not working, but I think the switch itself is bad (and it's also new).

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Try swapping the turn and hazard flasher units then see if the hazards work.