• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another where-to-put throttle body fuel lines

omureebe

So I can see that many, if not most, people that run a throttle body EFI are running the 3/8" lines (supply and return) on the inside (or top) of the driver's side frame rail. Is there a reason why it's this way versus outer driver's side rail, or inner passenger side?

As I'm in putting in my new tank with FiTech retrofit pump and running lines, my dual exhaust on the driver side is really close to the inner driver side rail. And the floor supports are a lil crunchy, and trying to make hard line fit on top doesn't look right. So I'm thinking why not run on either the outside of the driver rail or inner passenger side. Looking for input with folks that have done this.

Thanks
Omar

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
So I can see that many, if not most, people that run a throttle body EFI are running the 3/8" lines (supply and return) on the inside (or top) of the driver's side frame rail. Is there a reason why it's this way versus outer driver's side rail, or inner passenger side?

As I'm in putting in my new tank with FiTech retrofit pump and running lines, my dual exhaust on the driver side is really close to the inner driver side rail. And the floor supports are a lil crunchy, and trying to make hard line fit on top doesn't look right. So I'm thinking why not run on either the outside of the driver rail or inner passenger side. Looking for input with folks that have done this.

Thanks
Omar

5/16" fuel line (metal or EFI compliant hose with a protective liner) is of the proper size to support 300+ HP. Most people do run 3/8" feed line as it is easy to do the 1st time, the cost is a little more than the smaller and most plan HP upgrades.
Most Ford EFI engines have the fuel rail supply and return lines on the Driver's side. Exception being 87-93 Mustang systems. So the Driver's side is where people run those lines.
Exhaust, I don't follow trends much, but I think a lot of bronco owners are running a two into one system that follows the factory path for the exhaust. This also keeps a source of heat away from the fuel lines. So having the fuel lines run on Drivers side makes sense.
Running fuel lines on the outside of the frame creates a possibility for damage while wheeling, the lines are better protected inboard.
My opinion is that if you can run the lines on top of the frame, it is the best place and provides the best protection. It is, however, difficult to do without a body lift and/or frame off.

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

5/16" fuel line (metal or EFI compliant hose with a protective liner) is of the proper size to support 300+ HP. Most people do run 3/8" feed line as it is easy to do the 1st time, the cost is a little more than the smaller and most plan HP upgrades.
Most Ford EFI engines have the fuel rail supply and return lines on the Driver's side. Exception being 87-93 Mustang systems. So the Driver's side is where people run those lines.
Exhaust, I don't follow trends much, but I think a lot of bronco owners are running a two into one system that follows the factory path for the exhaust. This also keeps a source of heat away from the fuel lines. So having the fuel lines run on Drivers side makes sense.
Running fuel lines on the outside of the frame creates a possibility for damage while wheeling, the lines are better protected inboard.
My opinion is that if you can run the lines on top of the frame, it is the best place and provides the best protection. It is, however, difficult to do without a body lift and/or frame off.

Good points... Right now it's a 302 with dual exhaust, but I have a mildly built 0.040" over 351W (edelbrock heads and intake, RV cam, etc) on my stand that I'll put in next winter with the 2-into-1 exhaust, so 3/8" I'm def doing. But going on top of the frame rail looks more than difficult with the crunchy floor supports. I didn't think that the 2-in-1 may rule out the passenger side rail!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
left side of frame on my 351 build rig

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 86

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
;D only temporary! a little further along than that pic!

Attachments

• enhanceMNU5NYD7.jpg
    enhanceMNU5NYD7.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

;D only temporary! a little further along than that pic!

Another question on your setup.... Looks like you're running rubber hoses all the way. I was thinking about doing this due to ease as well as less fittings, versus rubber to steel, steel along most of frame rails, back to rubber up to filter then throttle body. Any concern with running all fuel rated hose? And thanks!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
only in CT! come on up sometime! actually hard to tell but it is steel fuel line just after that low pressure pump. I do have some injection hose to tie everything together but majority is steel

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

only in CT! come on up sometime! actually hard to tell but it is steel fuel line just after that low pressure pump. I do have some injection hose to tie everything together but majority is steel

Yeah I want to get this done so I can make it to a May It Forward! It's been at a shop for 4 years so I pulled it back and need to finish this truck up!

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
I bought the ptfe lined ss jacketed flex hose and ran it thru the drivers side frame rail.