• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any 3.5 Ecoboost TT installs in a Bronco?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Any 3.5 Ecoboost TT installs in a Bronco? Will it physically fit w/o body lift? I don't have struts or spring towers to worry about but height...?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My old guy thought, you must throw in all the computers and sensors, and most importantly the 10r80 to make it driveable. After someone tunes it.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Actually, Ron Francis has a new harness that is plug and play with all new sensors and uses the stock ECU that controls the 6r80.

Win/Win

:)

Until today I thought the same thing as you did.

Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Finally keeping up with the Jones’s lol. I’ve been doing just that for a few decades.

Now if it will just fit……. Jason at BC probably knows, I’m sure he’s at least messed with the idea.

JeffG

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Finally keeping up with the Jones’s lol. I’ve been doing just that for a few decades.

Now if it will just fit……. Jason at BC probably knows, I’m sure he’s at least messed with the idea.
you are correct, Yeller. I believe BC has done a few 3.5 Ecoboost swaps so far. There was some video on their website showing the build.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
BC has had a kit for the past 5 years or so. Not exactly anything new.

I looked into it when the engine first came out. Packaging of the turbos, where the frame wants to be at, turned me off. I remember reading about the engine when it first came out and the placment of the turbos was important for the drivability of the engine.

I know there have been a few generations of the Ecoboost as well. I know there have been changes, power keeps going up, I think the latest added more injectors.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Man I love the 3.5 TT and would love to have one in my bronco. I had a 2017 F150 with the same engine and 10r80 that thing got great mileage and was quick when the turbo kicked in.
If I wasn't trying to get a new company off the ground, I would take a stab at this now that I know Ron Francis is selling a harness for the install.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I have an email and call in waiting for Jason to give some particulars-other than reading about a kit.

Hope he chimes in.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bet it's a difficult engine to plumb and fit into the engine bay. Neat motor though.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Almost a dozen intercooler connections.... course that's in an engine bay that's designed for fitment. Get's worse when you're "trying" to make them fit.

I talked with Jason and another guy. Seriously a major expense and pita to reprogram the computer similar to what 73AZ said above. I think it would be a great motor to have but since they made so many upgrades every year or two having to deal with the different programming for the different years I could only imagine what headaches might unfold when trying... possible Pandora's Box?

Anyway, it was fun checking it all out.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Almost a dozen intercooler connections.... course that's in an engine bay that's designed for fitment. Get's worse when you're "trying" to make them fit.

I talked with Jason and another guy. Seriously a major expense and pita to reprogram the computer similar to what 73AZ said above. I think it would be a great motor to have but since they made so many upgrades every year or two having to deal with the different programming for the different years I could only imagine what headaches might unfold when trying... possible Pandora's Box?

Anyway, it was fun checking it all out.
Thanks for checking and reporting back, I guess that one is out for me...

desertoasis2b

Google "turnkey ecoboost" you can get a 2.0, 2.7, or 3.5 with or without a 6R80 or 10R80 trans. it comes ready to run on a pallet with all the wiring and computer reflash complete. hook up a battery and fuel tank and it runs on the pallet. they are not cheap and they are used engines and transmissions but its an option. scroll down and see the youtube video.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Google "turnkey ecoboost" you can get a 2.0, 2.7, or 3.5 with or without a 6R80 or 10R80 trans. it comes ready to run on a pallet with all the wiring and computer reflash complete. hook up a battery and fuel tank and it runs on the pallet. they are not cheap and they are used engines and transmissions but its an option. scroll down and see the youtube video.
I will have to take a look. Still interested, then again I have a brand new/remanned 5.8 with a small cam and gt-40 heads with upgraded springs and valves sitting on the stand. Plan on reusing the 5.0 harness and mustang computer etc. Also have a good used 4r70w ready to go behind it.. I am only missing the harness to run the tranny.
Rather plugged into going down this road but man I like the idea of the 3.5TT and a 10R in my bronco!

abn373

Contributor
Loc.
Charleston, SC
I never drove a regular 3.5TT but my daily driver is a Gen2 Raptor with the HO 3.5TT and I can't even imagine it in an EB. 450hp/510lb launches my SCAB ridiculously. I really can't even use most of the power or torque, even on the interstates. with 35" BFG MTs and all the weight of that thing, if I mash it on the interstate I will be into the back of another car in no time. forget about it on surface streets. Seems like in a Bronco it would be unmanageable when the turbo kicks in. FWIW, I love the truck, but I hate the 10 spd transmission. It's annoying as shit. Every time I get in I manually lock it to no higher than 7th gear. Even on the interstate. Because it will go to 10th gear in town at 40 mph if you let it and feel all sluggish until it downshifts 5 gears and takes off.

That being said, it would be a cool project for someone with the money but I bet scary as hell to drive the HO 3.5

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I never drove a regular 3.5TT but my daily driver is a Gen2 Raptor with the HO 3.5TT and I can't even imagine it in an EB. 450hp/510lb launches my SCAB ridiculously. I really can't even use most of the power or torque, even on the interstates. with 35" BFG MTs and all the weight of that thing, if I mash it on the interstate I will be into the back of another car in no time. forget about it on surface streets. Seems like in a Bronco it would be unmanageable when the turbo kicks in. FWIW, I love the truck, but I hate the 10 spd transmission. It's annoying as shit. Every time I get in I manually lock it to no higher than 7th gear. Even on the interstate. Because it will go to 10th gear in town at 40 mph if you let it and feel all sluggish until it downshifts 5 gears and takes off.

That being said, it would be a cool project for someone with the money but I bet scary as hell to drive the HO 3.5
I would agree on all counts.
One thing I found annoying was how quickly it would shift from 1st to 2nd. I have a slight grade going down hill out of my driveway and it would jump to second and I would need to slam on the brakes to make sure I stopped before pulling out.. I agree when the turbos kicked in, it would be a hand full.

duffymahoney

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wonder if a single turbo swap would fix all the issues. New Ecu, single larger turbo. One set of intercooler piping.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I wonder if a single turbo swap would fix all the issues. New Ecu, single larger turbo. One set of intercooler piping.
That would likely make things worse. Add a bunch of lag, you dig deeper in the throttle, boost hits even harder.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
3.5 would not be overpowering in a Bronco. I have 150 more hp and 250 more ft lbs torque. Mine drives fine on the street.

I have the 10 spd in my F50 behind a Coyote. Love the trans. Shifts fine. It's designed to skip gears. Mine has never once shifted into each gear on its way down to 4th or 5th. No lugging in 10th at 35 mph-smooth as silk. Stomp on it and it immediately shifts down to 4th or 3rd and hauls butt.

Back to installing 3.5TT

My concern of buying a used 3.5TT on a pallet ready to run is what happens when it doesn't?

Who's going to be able to get into the codes and troubleshoot? It's going to need it someday.

3.5TT has great oower with economy. Ford made a lot changes every year or two on them. Bunch more this year.

desertoasis2b

I don't know anything about the computers on the new vehicles, but it says on the website: flashed ECM - ePATS removed & OBD2/DLC connector (wired up and ready to be used to tune). Would these be what is used to get codes and troubleshoot? I want to do the 3.5 and 10R80 in my 63' F250 unibody truck.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Make aire you get the correct VIN # off the vehicle the 3.5 came out of AND make sure the ECU is a match to that engine.