• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Any issues with the currently available stock reproduction steel hoods?

OX1

Bronco Guru
So my virtually "perfect" factory hood that I have, "only" needs
one hole filled in the corner, is turning into a nightmare to get right.

Not sure how there could be pretty decent corrosion on edges
of supports, when they were covered with factory paint and
no rust visible at all. Very odd. Also, a couple of dents, right in the crease
on top are going to take more time than I think it is worth.

Are the repro factory style metal hoods pretty decent, or do they need all
kinds of work like the fenders?

gick70

I had one that arched in the middle,the cowl fit flush,the front lip was flush but middle was raised!

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I had one that arched in the middle,the cowl fit flush,the front lip was flush but middle was raised!

I ended up using one on my build from the graveyard and it fit great...

IMG_0761.jpg

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm in the same boat. I have an uncut stock hood in the yard that needs some work. Now that truck shop is selling Ford truck stuff I can pick up a new one for less than fixing the other. I'm concerned about the strength. I want the ability to fold the windshield down.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru

Ditto. There was a high spot on the PS side middle. Had to add about 1/4 inch to the front PS to make it square. Much easier than repairing the acid rust from the exploded battery that had eaten the PS front curl.

One note, on the 66-69 design there's a support rib that runs up the middle from the cowl to about 1/2 way to support the "U"
latch for the windshield. I ordered a 70-77 hood by a 66-69 was delivered. It didn't cause me any problems because I had a 1" BL and a clay measurement came in at 3/4" to my super dropped air cleaner, but of you don't have the BL and you get the early hood, be aware.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
One note, on the 66-69 design there's a support rib that runs up the middle from the cowl to about 1/2 way to support the "U"
latch for the windshield. I ordered a 70-77 hood by a 66-69 was delivered. It didn't cause me any problems because I had a 1" BL and a clay measurement came in at 3/4" to my super dropped air cleaner, but of you don't have the BL and you get the early hood, be aware.[/QUOTE]

I guess I might need to earlier one for going rat patrol on the windshield

68Broncoz

Contributor
I have one from Toms and all is good. Also added the hood shocks. Wow are they nice.

Chris

OP
OP
O

OX1

Bronco Guru
OK, thanks all. Sounds like a more than reasonable shot
at getting one good enough.

latch for the windshield. I ordered a 70-77 hood by a 66-69 was delivered. It didn't cause me any problems because I had a 1" BL and a clay measurement came in at 3/4" to my super dropped air cleaner, but of you don't have the BL and you get the early hood, be aware.

Have any pics of the added support? I thought all the hoods had center supports in the rear 2/3rd's. (Lord knows I spent enough time cleaning those supports on my current hood, for the last couple weeks) ;D

Last edited:

stout22

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Athens, AL
I had to replace my perfect stock hood after the body shop warped it. The new replacement had a cross brace that hit my breather. I added 1/4" body lift to clear. The stock hood did clear before the shop messed it up.