• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone done hydroboost brakes with PSC...

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Anyone done hydroboost brakes with PSC...

Hyd steering? If so details please.

OP
OP
NYLES

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Just wonder differences in hyd orbital vs gearbox any issues?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm certainly not an expert on full hydro steering, however in talking to my brother who is currently designing his new rig (front and rear steer Axletech 4000's on 54" ag tires), pump flow seems to be a major concern. Depending on the ram size and stroke, system speed will be determined by flow, so if you're marginal in any way, I imagine that will mess with the hydroboost. The orbital valve displacement combined with the hydraulic cylinder volume will determine the lock to lock.

There are hydraulic prioritization valves, but which do you prioritize...brakes or steering? They're both pretty important.

FWIW, KOH rigs like Hell's Bells (666) running front and rear steer run Howe Performance trophy truck pumps with something like 11GPM flow rates, but that's a $1300 pump IIRC. Other guys with the big Havoc type buggy/truggy applications run more conventional Saginaw type pumps (one or two), and then a separate electric over hydraulic pump for the rear steer, since it only sees intermittent use, but none of the ones I saw up at Mountain Havoc this year were running hydroboost that I could see anyway. Most were manual brakes, and an couple were vacuum assist.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hydroboost really is the flow "restriction". Minimal headaches with hyd assist but after talking to several companies about hydroboost gpm limitations- they all agreed that any flow over about 2.5-3.0 gpm and the hydroboost is the restrictor.

Van supposedly for a fee of $400 or so, does some sort of flow enhancement on the hydroboost and some on the list here has said it's helped...

Good luck...with my limited knowledge of full hydro-steer systems but knowing a bit more on hydroboost... I'd definitely do what Apogee mentioned which is quite common and run 2 pumps...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
With full hydro steering and hydro boost I use 2 pumps, one for steering and one for brakes. That completely negates any flow issues, I’ve fed them from 1 resi too simplifying plumbing

Snafu

Loc.
Guntersville, AL
With full hydro steering and hydro boost I use 2 pumps, one for steering and one for brakes. That completely negates any flow issues, I’ve fed them from 1 resi too simplifying plumbing

What are you using for brackets to mount two pumps? Are you running a Serp belt?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
What are you using for brackets to mount two pumps? Are you running a Serp belt?

Serp belt and custom hand made brackets. For LS stuff there are brackets out there from vendors like Goat Built. Many of the builds I do we have to build custom brackets do to nothing off the shelf fitting in the confines of the allotted space.

In the days before the high flow pumps that we have today sometimes we did 2 pumps to increase the steering speed.