• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone out there running a March Performance serp set up?

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
Just curious what you think about it. I was looking at my set up and it is a little scary when just one thin belt is responsible for running my steering and hydro boost. This seems like it could be a combination for a disaster.

So I am looking for a stronger system and I was blown away that the March systems cost 2k! Maybe I am missing something on the website but I say pricing in the 2k range.

I also saw this on the Bronco graveyard site

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-10492_1966-77_289-302_serpentine_kit_with_powersteering.htm

And it is much more reasonable priced but I thought a serp set up is supposed to be just one belt for everything.

Thanks for ideas and any details you may have on these products.

Matt

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i installed one of the march setups on a 460 (actually a 522 stroker) in a '48 mercury. the lineup was pretty nice, but getting the belts adjusted was a bit of a challenge. maybe that would be different since there's no AC though. nice thing is serpentine style belts last a lot longer, and they have a lot better gripping area especially for that 3G alt you have. only downside is the belts cost a few bucks more.

also with a 1 belt serp setup, you'll need a reverse rotation water pump.

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
So is the Bronco Graveyard any better than my current v belt set up or is the same thing.

Also, is there a less expensive alternative to the March system? 2k... that is ludicrous! :eek:

Thanks,

Matt

i installed one of the march setups on a 460 (actually a 522 stroker) in a '48 mercury. the lineup was pretty nice, but getting the belts adjusted was a bit of a challenge. maybe that would be different since there's no AC though. nice thing is serpentine style belts last a lot longer, and they have a lot better gripping area especially for that 3G alt you have. only downside is the belts cost a few bucks more.

also with a 1 belt serp setup, you'll need a reverse rotation water pump.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I would suggest going serpentine using factory parts. I have a Saginaw PS pump bolted to a late model Econoline van bracket and my 3G bolted to a Mustang 5.0 alternator bracket with the tensioner from the 5.0 as well. Everything lines up, its just one belt, and is a very clean setup. Serpentine belts do grip better than v-belts and the tesioner keeps the belt tension were it should be. I will never even think about V-belts again...

Oh yeah... all the parts can be found in your local u-pull yard for a lot less than even the JBG price!

fjordbronco

Loc.
Washington State
march

I have the march performance serp set up on my 302. I found it was easy to install and easy to adjust belt tension. As posted, you need a reverse rotation water pump and most likely an adjusted thermostat housing (one that you turn the neck on)

OP
OP
mkaenel

mkaenel

Bronco Guru
Loc.
La Costa, CA
I have the march performance serp set up on my 302. I found it was easy to install and easy to adjust belt tension. As posted, you need a reverse rotation water pump and most likely an adjusted thermostat housing (one that you turn the neck on)

fjordbronco,

I was looking at your gallery and our EB's are very similar. I was wondering what type of front bumper you have on yours (gray Bronco). That looks really nice.

Matt

fjordbronco

Loc.
Washington State
fjordbronco,

I was looking at your gallery and our EB's are very similar. I was wondering what type of front bumper you have on yours (gray Bronco). That looks really nice.

Matt

I have a balliebuilt in the front and a cross enterprises in the back. Both are great. Thanks, John