• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone put a Bronco body on a J**p?

Projp

I'm thinking of building a street only, (hence J**p), daily driver. I drive over 30,000 miles a year and would like something that has an injected motor, AOD trans., real brakes, real steering, A/C, etc.
I currently have 74 crawler, and an uncut 76 restored. As much as I love driving the 76 the thoughts of wrestling it every day on the freeway is not that appealing. How cool would it be to have the class of an EB half cab on top of something of current technology?
I thought of using a Ranger, but they are a little long. A J**p is about the right wheelbase, but anything that the body is totaled is a prospective doner.
OK you creative types, IDEAS?

Last edited:

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
How about putting current technology into your bronco? ;D Seriously, TONS of members here have done efi swaps and there are tons of tranny options available too, manuals and autos. I know it can be time consuming to do these swaps and expensive too, but consider the cost of trying to fit a body on a frame that it wasnt built for, or creating and grafting on new sheetmetal. Plus, bronco drivetrains are beefier anyways. As for wheelbase, you can gain a few inches without any real major mods. You can do all four corners with disks and a/c can be added on too. Do some research, you'll find what you want. JMHO

OP
OP
Projp

Projp

I've done the upgrade thing on my 74. It has a mustang 5.0, power discs, improved steering, rebuilt everything from frame up, but it still drives like a 30 year old vehicle that has been upgraded.
Rebuilding was my first idea, but sometimes I like to think outside the box (or Bronco).

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
At least keep it in the family, I would drop the body onto a Ranger or another Ford frame. If its street only, I would go two wheel drive.

I think the best choice would be to get a different vehicle for the trips back and forth to work.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
Once I bought a 76 bronco with a Scrambler body on it, Sold the scrambler body and Built the bronco. I have seen 2 Early broncos on 78-79 Bronco frames ;D Most of what I have seen around here is Jeep guys buying bronco stuff to upgrade there drivetrains :-X

OP
OP
Projp

Projp

casadejohnson said:
I think the best choice would be to get a different vehicle for the trips back and forth to work.

Now you are sounding like my wife.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Projp said:
I've done the upgrade thing on my 74. It has a mustang 5.0, power discs, improved steering, rebuilt everything from frame up, but it still drives like a 30 year old vehicle that has been upgraded.
Rebuilding was my first idea, but sometimes I like to think outside the box (or Bronco).
What are the specific complaints about the way it drives? Perhaps there is still more you can do that you haven't done yet. FWIW, Even with 37" tires mine drives better now than my 97 Explorer. The only exception to this is that it has more of a tendacy to lean when making corners. Changing to a later model frame based around a different body wouldn't help that though. To correct that I would need to replace the soft springs with stiffer ones which simply isn't going to happen.

I think trying to swap the body onto another frame would probably take a lot more money and effort than it would to correct any issues you currently have through upgrades.

Synds9

Loc.
San Diego, CA
i don't mean to sound like a smart ass but have you driven a jeep? doesn't feel too different from a bronco except the lack of power and awesomeness ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm with Saddleup on this. My 73 drives as good or better than most jeeps although it took a little work to get there as 30 years of worn parts needed rebuilding. Most of the jeeps I've drove or road in ride worse than the Bronco there shorter wheel base does nothing for ride. either one you look at was never really meant to be a street only rig. As for the upgrades your looking for a while availible in stock jeeps you still have to adapt it all to the the bronco body and hope it lines up enough to work. As for your other bronco driving like a 30 year old vehicle it is what it is. jeeps are what 60 years old while the suspension softened and the brakes and steering are better they are still jeeps. On your restored 76 did you put new springs on or are you still riding 29 year old springs? new springs and a alignment will do wonders then all you need to worry about is the engine/trans combo.

Bronconut

I'm with these guys. I have 37's on my totally gone through 76 and except for the NP435 trans shifting like a truck, my Bronco drives like a dream. I can hit the interstate at 70 -75 and drive with one finger on the wheel no problem. My wife just took it on a 900 mile trip by herself and even she was amazed at how it drove, plus it got 16.5 MPG the whole way.

On the other hand my unrestored stock 68 is another story, it has all original everything and it still drives great, but its definately more of a hand full at highway speeds.

If putting a Bronco body on a doner frame is what you want to do, go for it. But like these guys said it sounds like more work than just finding what makes your Bronco feel 'old'.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
BoltBuster said:
hmm what would Monster Garage do?!? ;D
Turn it into a worthless vacuum cleaner or perhaps even a weed eater but first they would put all GM running gear under it that had been donated by sponsors.

rubberneck

Contributor
Loc.
Severn, Maryland
what ?

My brother recently bought a frame off restored '68 from some ol'fart up north. And I was very impressed with it's performance. Everything was rebuilt on this bronco, EFI 5.0, C4, A/C, hydroboost disks on all four, rancho 9000 all 'round, all new springs, and it drove and performed as well or better than my wife's jeep grand cherokee. I think the only thing that needed to be upgraded was the cheap electric wiper motors that replaced the stock vacuum ones.

With all these aftermarket kits (a/c, brakes, tops, suspensions, etc.) anyone can have an excellent daily driver that performs great.

And I'd sleep better at night knowing I have a true EB parked in the garage, not some Frankenstien Jeep.

I say -------> find a nice stock uncut EB http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4544510900 , and add fourway power disk brakes, vintage air, heater craft. 2" lift w/ some soft adjustable shocks, power steering, heck-rebuild the whole steering col., all weather tires.

OP
OP
Projp

Projp

Thanks for the feedback
No one seems to excited about the body/vehicle swap.
If I rebuild the 76 this is what it will need
CHANGE
5.0 & wiring
AOD
rear discs
quicker ratio steering box
tie rods & drag link
front springs
rear springs
radius arms
fuel system
cooling system
etc

REBUILD
dana 20
driveline u joints
rear axle
front axle
all bushings
ball joints
front brakes
etc
I have done all of the above except the AOD and rear discs on one Bronco or another. I know there are a million little things involved in putting a body on a different vehice, but it is doable if the two are anywhere near the same size.
Some of you seem to have a unit that drives just like a new one, but I haven't been able to ride in one yet. I am comparing it to maybe a new Ford Ranger. I knew if I suggested putting a J**p under it I would at least get the religious fanatics interested.
Any more ideas?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Projp said:
I currently have 74 crawler, and an uncut 76 restored.

I thought your 76 was restored?? Sounds more like it needs to be restored according to your list.
Some of the items on your list are questionable quicker ratio steering your 76 box should be a 4 turn box cant get much quicker than that not only that any quicker is not really ideal for the hiway on an EB. Also some of the other items dont come on jeeps anyways so your upgrades may as well be on a bronco.
You have a good point of suggesting a jeep to get some input. Try contacting some of the members there in utah maybe one of them has a DD that handles as well as a new vehicle that they would let you test drive.

planewrench

Loc.
Crawford, Co.
I dunno. I have replaced or rebuilt EVERYTHING on my '68. Fresh 5.0 HO EFI, rebuilt NP 435, rebuilt trans case and differentials. New radiator. New driveshafts. Duff's Super Whammy 3 1/2 suspension. Every single nut, bolt, gasket, bearing, and bushing has been replaced. All new front end components. F150 PS, Chevy disc brakes. New glass, ALL new weatherstrip, new 35" tires on MT wheels. Body off restored to the last detail. Full custom interior. All that and my 94 Wrangler four banger is a lot easier to live with on a day in day out basis. Surprised (and disappointed) me, but that's how it turned out.
I can feel the heat already.

OP
OP
Projp

Projp

The 74 has been apart and together many times. Bare frame blasted & painted, 5.0 HO, Built C4, Atlas 4.3, extended wheelbase to 99", 9" with Detroit & 31's, front is 44 ARB with Superior shafts & CTM's, Discs, Cage arms & coils, 37x17 MTR's on beadlocks, etc, etc.

The 76 restoration was not frame off. Body work and paint, interior removed & painted, all new weathestripping and seals, carpet, headliner, door panels---all new interior. Rebuilt 302 & C4, drivelines, and normal wear items, etc,etc.
Since I want a half cab I will probably sell the 76 and find something that needs a drivetrain.