• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone put a gm tilt collum into a bronco

tjsaye

Loc.
Midlothian
Looking for anybody that may have attempted this. I have a 1995 Camaro tilt manuel collum that I was wanting to put into a Bronco in oder to clear some space on my dash ...ie key windshield wipers etc...Looking for pros and cons and what fabrication was needed to do this conversion..and any potential problems...I am reconfiguring my dash with all autometer guages, Tach and speedometer, dvd/radio player ac controls, and all my toggle switches to operate electric fans winches and lights...Thanks for any help

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I believe the Ididit aftermarket tilt column are based off the chevy design...

I read about a Pontiac tilt being used in an EB.. I think it was on here...

doran4x

Contributor
you will need to make a bracket for the under dash location. I used a piece of flat stock, first mounted to the chevy column and then mounted to the stock Bronco location. I used a large hose clamp at the engine side of the firewall. The shaft should be a double d type so it should not be a problem to adapt to the steering box. It has functioned well for 25 years.

Tom:)

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I used an 82 s-10 column. Very easy install. By the time you strip off all of the hardware on the column that you don't need you can drill out the spot welds on the stock bronco column and use the bracket. MAd a simple bracket out of a muffler clamp at teh fire wall.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
/
86c6scd.jpg

Can't see the column too well. There is a gap of several inches between the column shroud and the dash.

The lights work. I haven't tried to wired up the wipers or cruise yet.

JP

Last edited:

bluesixtynine

Loc.
Roswell, NM
I just completed one from a 92 GMC pick up. The bracket was a bit tough to put together on final install because of all the wiring and gauge cluster being in close proximity. I was able to wire everything in the column except the wipers. I could not get the switch to work because the GM switches the ground, while our broncos switch the positive. If you figure out how to wire the GM wiper switch please post it!

I am very pleased with the outcome, the effort was very worthwhile.

OP
OP
T

tjsaye

Loc.
Midlothian
Thanks a bunch guys I was able to drill out the welds and us the same bracket on my old collum...thanks everyone for the help

RustyNutz

Loc.
Coos Bay
Back when I built my first Bronco back in 1982 I used a 1974 Cadillac Tilt and Telescope column. I really dont remember the details, but I dont remember it being difficult at all and really like other said, build an upper bracket and of coarse sort out the wiring.

dashmd2.jpg

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I was able to wire everything in the column except the wipers. I could not get the switch to work because the GM switches the ground, while our broncos switch the positive. If you figure out how to wire the GM wiper switch please post it!

Can you just use the GM switch to ground a relay that powers the wipers?

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I'm kind of gathering parts for my next Bronco ...Is there any advantage to the GM COLUMN over what I used in my other Bronco ...78 or 79 ford tr tilt wheel....wiring had to be changed but it did have the correct connection ..
I used a bracket of the stock column ...I will say I wish it would tilt higher up..

bluesixtynine

Loc.
Roswell, NM
"Is this the one that has al the goodies? Like Wiper delay, Cruise, Hazards, etc...I'd like to do this swap so I can clean up the dash as much as possible..."

That is why I went this route, I liked the fact that I could clean up the dash and place the switches on the column. I was able to get everything except the wipers to work. I tried every combination I could think of with the wires, but the park wire would not work right. Your idea of the relay ground may be worth looking into, but I have already put the original switch back in.

On a side note, how do you guys get the quote section to work? All I can figure out is the standby highlight, copy and paste method.

56f100bbw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson / lakeside AZ
I installed a gm tilt van column with key on the dash very easy install looks almost stock, but wouldn't do it again not enough tilt in the upward position the column is at the wrong angle for a bronco.