• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone Running the Performance Distributors DUI Distributor?

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Talking with these guys about a distributor for my new 351w roller. Easy one wire install and is compatible with fuel injection if I decide to go that route later. I think I'll be okay with hood and air cleaner clearance since I run a quadrajet with adapter and spacer and hood scoop.

Any thoughts out there on this puppy?

BtheFelix

Worked perfect for me. I was running the DUI before I swapped out to the Edelbrock PF4 EFI.

I’ll be listing my good used one in the parts section along with my Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold and Holley carb.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
No issues on my 302 for the last 12y. It's been used in some miserably hot conditions for hours at a time as well.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Worked perfect for me. I was running the DUI before I swapped out to the Edelbrock PF4 EFI.

I’ll be listing my good used one in the parts section along with my Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold and Holley carb.

Is the distributor for 351w and steel gear?

Was the DUI not compatible with the PF4? That's the system I am considering but out a couple years.

BtheFelix

I don’t believe it’s compatible. The PF4 comes with a distributor that allows the computer to control the timing. The DUI I had on it had a vacuum advance.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The real DUI has had a good reputation for a long time. The cheap knock offs, well known for being junk that will break. They are big, clearance is often an issue. I recall the hood brace is another clearance issue.

Now for working with EFI. Most of the stand alone EFI just needs a tach signal to run. For that it will work, as will most any distributor.
If you want the EFI to control the timing, which is generally a good thing, things get more difficult. You don't want any mechanical or vacuum advance. GM did this with the HEI, the ones that use the 7-wire HEI module. What I don't like is Holley saying you have to run a special (dual sync) distributor. Not true. I have run a sniper with computer controlled timing on a duraspark. You just need to lock out the mechanical advance. There are lockout kits for HEI if you want to go that route. For indexing the rotor to the pickup, on the Duraspark I removed the vacuum advance and put an adjustable lockout (bendable piece of wire) in. Drilled a hole in an old cap and dialed it in with a timing light. HEI you can get an adjustable rotor. Both do the same thing, change the phasing of the pickup coil to the spark plug posts. While I am sure Holley loves to sell there in house distributor, it isn't a must.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Been running em on the broncos for 20+ years. I blew a module about 15 years in. Other than that they've been great. Both on 351w with q-jets. Like bowser said get the dui unit. The knock offs have had issues. Also when ordering get an aftermarket oil pump drive like an arp. The stock ones can be inconsistent in length and might not allow the dizzy to seat all the way.

OP
OP
Ol'Blue

Ol'Blue

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the feedback all. Sounds like a good unit and yes already got the ARP drive and it will defiantly be the DUI.

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Running one on my 331 stoker with a Weiand street warrior intake and Edelbrock 1904 carb. Had to top it with a 13" air cleaner to clear the size of the distributor. It is an awesome ignition system. I ordered it directly from DUI last fall. I also installed a Bronco Design mid rise hood back in 2016 when I restored the Bronco.

Attachments

• April 2022 right side engine view.jpeg
    April 2022 right side engine view.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

TX-ZACH

Contributor
Loc.
Chappell Hill Texas
Make sure it has the Melonized gear for the roller cam. Lots of folks running those with great results but the purists will roast you for the HEI style.