• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone trailer their Bronco behind an RV?

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
a guy in our club has a class A with V-10 motor and it tows his Bronco on trailer with no problems. says he saved a bunch on purchase price by getting the V-10 as opposed to diesel and he doesn't even notice the Bronco and trailer when towing. don't know if he's been in the mountains yet.

ransil

Bronco Guru
The V-10 hauls it with no problems, towing or not I get the same mileage (7mpg) and the Hills slow it down about the same.
I tried to find a diesel they are hard to find.

OP
OP
sriha

sriha

Not sure why everyone is so focused on flat towing, the OP was questioning towing capacity of the RV to pull a trailer. From what I have learned over years of doing this, is modifiying the rear most frame section. Alot of RV's have real cheesy frame extensions, some are down right dangerous just supporting the living qtrs. Reinforcing the sections with plates, boxing the inside, and building a strong hitch with big side plates and gussets, are where we start. We just got a '95 class C gulfstream, one reason we bought it was how good the rear frame was made from the factory, should be easy to modify for towing the Bronco.

Did you build your own reinforcement for the frame or did you get a kit from somewhere? Do you need to jack the rear end up on the camper to work on it?

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
we just got back from CO. last month. 2000 mile round trip, we used an F350 V10 pulling a 31 ft. camper and flat towing the rig. Buddy of mine used an F150 with the new 5.0, 24ft. camper and his rig with no problems and got 9 miles to gallon to boot.

Confused here, he towed a 24' camper and his rig with a F150??

broncomatt

Ok, I should have caught that. Yes I tow with my 23' rv, its an 76 dodge with a 360 gas engine. I had to build a custom hitch after using the rv and 23' trailer to move. I ripped the hitch off the rv. I would definetly brace any hitch if your using a dual axle trailer. One thing to keep in mind when adding bracing, where are your propane lines and tank. Mine were on the back so it required some specail care and prep.
I prefer to flat tow now, just go sick of the trailer. Gas milage of course is worse, with the trailer I get 8-9. Not much better flat towing but I have gotten 11 a few times.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use to tow my Bronco with a 22 foot Lazydaze class C. I chose to reinforce the chassis by running C-channel from the bumper to the frame. I use to tow the Bronco on a tow dolly with electric brakes and I put the Bronco on the dolly backwards. I cross strapped the steering knuckles to the frame to keep the steering straight and take the load off the steering box. I left the tranny in park and transfer case in gear and let the front hubs do their job. This all kept me legal and safe. No fooling with driveshafts and if I broke my Bronco I still had a way to get it home.
I just gave up the whole motorhome thing as out here in LA its just too expensive and to just think about going out was a 500 dollar bill. So now I just drive the Bronco and tow a military trailer with my camping gear. The biggest money pit I had was a motorhome.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
Did you build your own reinforcement for the frame or did you get a kit from somewhere? Do you need to jack the rear end up on the camper to work on it?

Everything is custom built. 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 plate is used to cut out the pieces from templates made of cardboard. Our Gulfstream already has plates bolted and welded to the outer frame, and the extension is made from C channel the same size as the original chassis frame. I'll box 24"- 30"s on the inside, then weld in cross braces from behind the rear axle out to the rear most frame. Then I'll build my own hitch, into the frame with good size side plates. It's easy to over build and add too much wieght, I cut out "lightening " or "speed" holes in the box plates, but keep the strength. I use stepped boards to level our RV at sites, I use those to drive up on, 6"s up on the rear axle picks the rear of the frame up to a workable height.