• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone Using The Easy off Door hinges from Tom's

method9

Loc.
Logan
I have a problem with my door hinges and I am sure they are just worn out from 30 + years of being opened and closed. As I open my driver side door it drops down about an inch and scrapes all the way across my stills. It bugs me.
I want to get some new door hinges and would just like some opinions on what is out there.

I like the idea of Tom's easy off door hinges but have some concern to if they are able to stand the abuse of time. Are they heavy duty enough?

Or should I just go with the regular rebuilt hinges?

Or is anyone a fan of rebuilding their own if so how hard is it and what does it intel?

Thanks Bronco Brothers

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
i have a set on my bronco and love them the door comes on and very easy. they are also a very thick steel with large pins W/ bushings in them which can be replaced if they wear out. i would definitly suggest a set. i tryed rebuilding my old ones but that was a bunch of crap with a very good drill press plus if you wanted to remove your doors all your alignment would be off, so i bought the one from toms. get a sst you will not be disapointed.

OP
OP
M

method9

Loc.
Logan
Thanks for the insight,

Do you think that will fix my dropping door problem?

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
they will fix it, definitely, but you will need to do some adjustment on the doors as always when replacing hinges. I have a set from WH and they are sweet but adjustment is still a pain.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I did mine with one of the inexpensive rebuild kits. You don't need a drill press (but it would make it easier). I just put mine in a bench vise and used a hand drill. Just start with a small bit and redrill multiple times with progressively larger bits until you get to size that allows the sleave to be inserted.

Overall, very very easy. The tough part is lining up the doors when you are done and dealing with any body sag that's occurred over the last 30 years. Since the kits are so cheap, why don't you try that route first. If it fails, you're only out about $20-$30.

Good Luck

OP
OP
M

method9

Loc.
Logan
That sounds like a plan

Does anybody have any insight on how to fix the backing plate that is disconnected from my body.

It is still holding up there on something but everytime I take a hinge off it feels like it is about to fall right out.

What can i do to fix that?

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
method9 said:
That sounds like a plan

Does anybody have any insight on how to fix the backing plate that is disconnected from my body.

It is still holding up there on something but everytime I take a hinge off it feels like it is about to fall right out.

What can i do to fix that?

Don't take all 3 bolts out at the same time! Mine was loose and if you take out 2 bolts (just loosen the third) and pivot the hinge around and stick one of the bolts back in to hold the backing plate in place then it can't drop down.

jdub1233

Ive got stainless steel one's from All4Fun and love them. They still look brand new and work perfect. Tom's and WH buy them from Bob at All4Fun. Theyre a little spendy but definitely worth it.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
They did get them from Bob but they now use the set from Scott Drake (about the time of the price drop). I have a set of Bobs from WH.