• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Are we killing the breed?

ky-resto

I'm kind of a purist when it comes to Early Broncos. I like the mostly stock stuff and can certainly appreciate a modified rig. But aren't we dealing with a limited resourse here with Early Broncos? Will we get to a point where there are no "untouched" originals out there? I know alot of you guys are diehard Bronco lovers with modified rigs, but I wanted to get your thoughts on the matter. A friendly debate, if you will.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
I'm the opposite. I can appreciate an uncut stock rig, but I like the modified ones much better. You are correct on the scarcity thing, but with the aftermarket metal (although thin), we could always take them back to uncut status if that's the way people wanted them. While I'm sure the uncut, unmodified rigs are capable of going lots of places other stock rigs can't, I think the lifted, flared EB with some nice tires can go much further. Just my opinion.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
I personally would rather not see an immaculate original cut or drastically modified because of their diminishing numbers. By the same token I wouldn't buy one in this condition because I would rather have a full blown off road machine. When the body dies on mine I'll go with a glass body so another bronco won't have to bite the dust to provide parts. Reality is now that Matkins makes frames a bronco can be built from the ground up if you have the cash or inclination to do it.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
[quote author=broncobsession link=board=5;threadid=12930;start=0#97095 date=1041700065]<br>I'm the opposite. I can appreciate an uncut stock rig, but I like the modified ones much better. You are correct on the scarcity thing, but with the aftermarket metal (although thin), we could always take them back to uncut status if that's the way people wanted them. While I'm sure the uncut, unmodified rigs are capable of going lots of places other stock rigs can't, I think the lifted, flared EB with some nice tires can go much further. Just my opinion.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree with you. I like the classic look, but it's kind of goofy looking compared to the cut modified look. Look at the Bronco Driver this month, it's kind of scary when you think that only 224,000 EB's were made. One day there won't be very many for sale. If you can buy one these days, then do it. In ten years, everyone (aside from the true addicts like us) is going to wake up and realize what a classic the thing is. It is starting to happen already. I read an eBay ad where a guy referenced that Men's Health did an article on how cool the old Scouts and Broncos are. Now, all the richy yuppy boys want one and the prices are already getting out of hand. I say get one of each and never sell them. Just my .02.

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
True, there were only a finite number of early Broncos made. There are still some left that are stock, unrestored originals - and that's a good thing.<br><br>The fact is, the vast majority of EB's haven't really withstood the test of time all that well - rust is a HUGE problem, and if a truck has already deteriorated to the point that it needs major sheetmetal replacement, it's going to need a lot work to the mechanical parts as well- so if you're going to fix things, you might as well modify it to suit your needs and desires.<br><br>The sensible, logical thing to do is to PRESERVE the Broncos that are still in good shape - keep them stock, uncut, unmodified and appreciate them for what they are. Do NOT cut up a perfectly good original truck when there are literally thousands of rusty, modified EB's out there for the asking. Grab one of those and have your way with it. Turn it into a daily driver, a trail truck, a rockcrawler - whatever. An EB being used (for whatecer purpose) is better than an EB going to the crusher. <br><br>If you've got an original, uncut, nice early Bronco and you really want a trail truck, sell the original to someone who appreciates it and will preserve it. Use the money to buy your choice of more practible EB choices and all the parts you want to modify it. Heck, you can even restore it if you want to. <br><br>There's room for both sides in the hobby if everybody uses a little common sense (wishful thinking, I know..but it could happen. Maybe.)

mxpaz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
KC
Hell I didnt even like Broncos till I seen one all cut up.

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
There's a rear for every saddle... As long as there are people who feel strongly on both sides of the issue, we should all get along juuuust fine. ;D ;D Bottom line - whether an uncut original or a modified trail monster, it's still a bronco, and there is no such thing as a bad one...is there?

72bronco

Bronco Guru
Don't look at me, mine was already cut when I bought it.<br><br>Besides, I can apperciate things such as original mustangs and modified ones equally. Also I use mine as a daily driver. If I were religious about keeping it original then I'd have to stick with drum brakes, manual steering, 3 on the tree, a 2 barrel carb, etc. Part of the fun of my EB is coming up with ideas to improve it. <br><br>Plus it's such a fine offroad machine with just a few modifications to the suspension and body. I've seen guys take modified classic cars and restore them to original. Not easy to do but it can be done. I bet with the right amount of effort even mine could be restored to original condition.

OP
OP
ky-resto

ky-resto

Good thoughts. Don't get me wrong, I like both originals and modified. The modifications you guys talk about on this site are amazing. If it wasn't for the interest from people modifying the ebs, we would probably have a whole lot less to work with. And my next rig will probably have cut rear fenders and some updates to help with drivability. But I prefer the classic look (Hey, Bajas came with cut rear quarters anyway). <br><br>I would just feel guilty cutting up a nice original rig thinking that in 10 years, there won't be any left to restore.

67halfcab

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Michigan
I like them both ways. and here in Michigan and other parts of the states the trucks just can't stand up to the weather/time and end up rotting. <br><br>So, I agree that some originals should be preserved. But on the other had the trucks that get a bad case of rot now have the option of being restored to original condition do to the likes of BC Broncos, Duffs, JBG, etc... etc... and there every growing list of replacement parts.<br><br>Yes I know they are not original parts but then again the trucks that are restored are still with us. AND LOOKING GOOD.<br><br>I know some day I am going to "Rebuild" my 76' which is now just sitting on shelves in my garage because the rot got her before I could.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
As of right now a uncut Bronco doesn't seem to be worth any more than a cut one. A perfect case is that nice yellow one I started the thread about last week ( someone spent some time on this one ) . That truck only got a high bid of $13,000 and I see cut up Broncos bring in much higher bids. I think ANY Bronco will be worth it's weight in gold in a few years , cut or not. Have you looked in a "Old car price guide " lately ? How would think that some cars could be worth $20,000 - $50,000 and only 10 years ago you could buy those cars for $2000 - $10,000. WE have our Broncos . When I see one go to the crusher all I can think is how mine just went up in price by another $25. That may sound cruel but it's a fact . The more that go away, the more ours are worth. I have my small stockpile and would advise everyone else to do the same. In ten years you guys will all be saying " remember that 2badrotties jerk , he said these things would be worth a fortune some day - he was right ". ;)

67bondobronc

I like them both. Mine will have upgrades but it will not be like some of the awesome rigs I have seen on here. I feel as though I am saving one that should have been at the crusher. Look at my handle........mine was full of bondo on top of rust. There have been many times when I run across someone selling one that is in a lot better shape for a good price and I think to myself.....I have a great parts rig already. But, I am committed to bringing mine back to life but I just can't go back to the 6 cylinder. I wish I could keep my three on the tree because there are so many people out there that can't drive one. Who knows I might not throw it in the floor.

luvmybronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ashland, Oh
[quote author=eBronc link=board=5;threadid=12930;start=0#97104 date=1041703260]<br><br><br>The sensible, logical thing to do is to PRESERVE the Broncos that are still in good shape - keep them stock, uncut, unmodified and appreciate them for what they are. Do NOT cut up a perfectly good original truck when there are literally thousands of rusty, modified EB's out there for the asking. Grab one of those and have your way with it. Turn it into a daily driver, a trail truck, a rockcrawler - whatever. An EB being used (for whatecer purpose) is better than an EB going to the crusher. <br><br>If you've got an original, uncut, nice early Bronco and you really want a trail truck, sell the original to someone who appreciates it and will preserve it. Use the money to buy your choice of more practible EB choices and all the parts you want to modify it. Heck, you can even restore it if you want to. <br><br>There's room for both sides in the hobby if everybody uses a little common sense (wishful thinking, I know..but it could happen. Maybe.)<br>[/quote]<br><br><br> I agree 100 percent...If my 66 halfcab had the original motor, I would restore it to dealership specs. Color, and all...Even though it doesn't have the original motor, I'm still going to keep it as close to stock as possible...I plan on painting it Tennessee Orange, Or Dark Green, put in carpet, move the shifter to the floor, and a mild 2" lift just to get the rear quarters off the tires...Thats about it...When I was younger, I thought the stock Bronco looked dorky, but now that you see so many modified Broncos, the stock ones look cool....

randall

i just want to have as much fun in mine as possible, and the more radical i make it the more fun i have in it.

Jeep Slayer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wildomar California
although my rig is cut (in the rear only ) it is almost all stock, I still have the stock 170 cid in her. I plan on keeping it that way but will do upgrades on her. maybe a small lift better suspension and what not but I have no plans on makeing her into a rock cralwing beater. ;D

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
[quote author=MXPAZ link=board=5;threadid=12930;start=0#97106 date=1041704164]<br>Hell I didnt even like Broncos till I seen one all cut up.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Lol, I was the same way

Gordys74

Loc.
Southern Iowa
I like EBs both cut and uncut. My Ol Bronc is uncut and I intend to leave him that way. I guess I'm kinda getting used to the way he looks. I intend to do some modification to some of the mechanics (disc brakes, better PS and better alternator) stuff like that, but I will leave the outside appearance stock. I'm going to keep the stock height, if I can. He still has a long way to go and a lot of rust to be dealt with, but I'm slowly getting there.<br><br>I do agree that it would be a shame to alter a 'Super Sano' original rig as they must be few and far between.

tcjones76

Loc.
Tyngsboro, Ma
When is someone going to reproduce the EB firewall, rear floor, inner rear fenders and inside rear quarter panels in metal? With all the aftermarket reproduction part's already available , that's about all that's left before you could build a brand new one from scratch.<br><br>Unfortunately for me, I am currently being torn between keeping my stock EB uncut and scribing the line on the fenders for the sawzall.

72BlueBronco

I like a good original, But I couldn't work on it all the time so I need one to modifiy ;D

TheLimeRanger

hey tc, i think jeffs has all those replacement panels you speak of.<br><br>personally, i hated the uncut look at first....but its grown on me. i cant bear to hack her up.....so i'll put a lift on her instead!<br>scott