• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

At what point did you realize there is no such thing as a bronco budget?

KyddsPly

I figured it out as soon as I thought it was a good idea to pull the body off the frame to repair the rust.

Then the "Well it's off, I might as well...." begun.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
When you stop counting receipts, which usually happens around the time that you are within about 90% of your planned expenditures on the project. That is when.

I blame my father, to this day, for me having done as much as I did. He helped me drop a crate engine in, and helped replace a couple of floor panels. As we were standing there, beers in hand admiring our work, he nudged me and said "you know you really should paint this thing, you're never going to want to take it this far apart again". And thus began dumping thousands in over the course of 2.5 or so years.

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Pretty quick, unfortunately. My wife, who has always asked me to stick to budgets for purchasing the rig and for repairs/upgrades, now says, "it is going to cost what it is going to cost." It took her a bit longer, but she's come around!

Bferrari

I never acknowledged any type of budget ... Wife on the other hand has a detailed spreadsheet of every nickle spent on mine. I get to hear about it on a semi-regular basis. I've been trying to get her to submit the costs to our insurance given it's the best damn therapy I've ever had ;)

OP
OP
KyddsPly

KyddsPly

How about when your receipt stack resemble a Steven king novel.

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I'm not there yet, and don't plan to get there. I'm generally a goof off, and a lot of folks think I act like a big kid, but not when it comes to money.

I have a separate bank account I defer part of my paycheck to. That is goof off money, I can spend that on anything and it won't cause me financial trouble. I also place funds I get from selling off my unwanted parts/ equipment there, so that goes toward my Bronco and not lost in my fuel tank or the grocery store. Most of it goes toward tools and Bronco parts, or any other thing I want but don't "need" to maintain my life.

When it comes time to make a purchase for the Bronco, if it's in that account, I can afford it. If it's not, I can't and have to wait. I actually got a lot more careful with my money once I started doing that, and held off buying little junk I didn't really need in favor of saving up for more expensive items. Right now I have enough in there it's looking feasible for me to consider replacing a lot of the body sheet metal.

Slednut10

Contributor
Guru? That's funny!
After looking at way too many $5000 piles of crap that used to be Broncos......

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got big feet.
I keep my receipts in a shoe box.
The lid on my Bronco receipt shoe box will barely close.

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
On the drive home I knew I'd never be able to have a budget. I do keep the receipts I just don't try and look at them they are in a home depot medium packing box I figure when its full I'm done.

wepuckett

Its more about how much monthly is there to spend rather then how much total, as totals are only total when the bronco is a done project.

TPTFPS68

Loc.
Mexico, Mo
When my " basket case " bronco cost the same as my 77 EB did in 1981. NEVER add your receipts up until you are finished!