• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

August '65 EB - No Inside Mirror Holes - Visor Mount Bracket?

RattleTheGlass

Hello CB,

Our 66 Bronco appears to have shipped without a rear view mirror. There are no holes present, but we would like to have a rear view mirror for driving. I know that we can stick one to the windshield, but the guy I'm working with on restoration says that he has seen rear view mirrors that use a bracket that attaches to the sun visor holes, possibly on top of the existing visor bracket. I've done a good deal of searching, but I'm coming up dry.

Has anyone ever seen this, and could they point me in the right direction?

Additionally, I'm always open for advise, but I'd like a rear view mirror.

There is no roll cage.

Thanks,
Michael

Ovalis

Contributor
Loc.
Los Angeles
When it comes to the 66 rear view mirror, the only definitive answer is that there isn't a definitive answer. It's been discussed and some who've said they have an original 66 that had no mirror, or some there's was windshield mounted, another it was windshield frame mounted and that one even had different styles mounted to the frame, but we can agree they were not mounted to the sun visor holes (I don't think). Those were just bolted directly to the frame. There is one particular frame mounted mirror that I think most will agree is the best looking one and fits most correctly too. I don't have a picture of it handy at the moment but I'm sure someone will post it up here.

mrdrnac

Contributor
Here's my 66's

Attachments

• 20161009_165511.jpg
    20161009_165511.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 99

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's very possible that because this was a utility vehicle (multi-purpose vehicle) the law did not dictate a rear view mirror be installed as long as there was one side mirror. So it's possible that many of the variations we've seen were a combination of Ford options installed at the dealers, or simply aftermarket mirrors, or mirrors from other Fords that happened to fit.
Like something out of a convertible passenger car from 10 years before.

Paul

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Is your windshield original? Could have been glass mounted as well, some 66 were.

OP
OP
RattleTheGlass

RattleTheGlass

Thanks for the updates. It's not surprising to hear that the mirrors are just as odd as the rest of the 66's. We've decided to go ahead and stick a mirror to the windshield for driving purposes.

I'm really not sure if it's still the original windshield or not, but if I figure it out, I'll let folks know.

Thanks,
Mike

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Get a picture of the logo/labeling that's in one of the corners. See what it says, and if CarLite, which version of their logo it has.

Paul

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for the updates. It's not surprising to hear that the mirrors are just as odd as the rest of the 66's. We've decided to go ahead and stick a mirror to the windshield for driving purposes.

I'm really not sure if it's still the original windshield or not, but if I figure it out, I'll let folks know.

Thanks,
Mike

Good for now plan.. At least you can see while working it out :D

Get a picture of the logo/labeling that's in one of the corners. See what it says, and if CarLite, which version of their logo it has.
That could work too