• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto Shifters - Options? Pictures?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
I'm preparing to swap my manual 3-speed with a Hurst floor shifter to a C4 auto. I just rebuilt, painted and installed a clean column a short while back (manual column with mustang, smooth collar) and do not want to go through that again.

What options exist for auto floor shifters? I'd like something clean and stock-looking, if possible. Love to see some pictures, too.

Thanks.
Jeff

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
The Hurst and B&M's are always an option. I think they look kind of cheap and cheesy anymore though, and I don't like ratchet shifters.

The Lokar is nice, you have to have a feel for it though, so be aware of that. My bro had one in his Nova, it was very smooth, and easy to bump gears. Very nicely made.

Art Carr makes a very nice shifter, gate style, easily modified, and with the TV cable can be mounted pretty much anywhere. They shift smooth, and have excellent reviews.

I'm still using the stock column shifter, but I see a Art Carr somewhere in my future.

PBR

Loc.
SoCal
art carr and winters make the same shifter and it is the best floor shifter out there. i have one in my fsb and in my race truck.

onebadd73

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca.
Auto shifter

I have a tail mounted lokar shifter in mine. I like the clean look of it.
DSC01043.jpg

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I don't see the picture of mine over in that thread so here it is. I run the B&M Truck Megashifter. I like having the shift indicator to tell me what gear I'm in which some of the others don't have and I also like it being easy to go between reverse and drive if I'm trying to rock out of a spot in the mud. Some of the shifters have complicated reverse lockouts that are hard to work where the B&M just has a lever to pull up on (Usable with one hand) to go back and forth. I have no opinion of the Art Carr or the Lokar as I've never used them but I would want at least the two things listed above. The only one I have an opinion of is the Hurst which I had on mine originally. I hated that thing right up to the day I got rid of it because of the reverse lockout on it. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to get rid of the lockout. It keeps me from accidentally hitting reverse when I just want neutral. I just don't want to use 2 hands to unlock it.