• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auto Trans Trouble

workhorse

Guys,
This is not in my Bronco but I need some advice. Trans in my 01 F150 seems to be slipping when in OD, (been pulling a boat) AAMCO wants $1,100 to rebuild. Any advice from you trans gurus? Sorry for highjacking our Broncos

Broncobowsher

Total hack
'01 F150 probably with a 4R70W (4.2 or 4.6 engine) or 4R75W (5.4 engine) which are all esencially the same trans.

$1100 is about right for a rebuild with warranty. You want sticker shock, see what a dealer would charge.

If it is only in Overdrive, then the band is probably going out. If it is 3rd and 4th gear it is the direct clutch pack.

old number 8

Loc.
NOT Seattle
As a side note, anytime you tow with an OD trans, hit the OD cancel button or take it out of OD.

Is your fluid burnt? When was the last service? If it's already slipping it's too late for prevention.

Whatever your decision, get a big aux cooler up front.

What kind of warrantee for aamco? The dealer will give 3 yr/36K miles.

OP
OP
W

workhorse

Thanks guys, It is the 5.4L I knew not to tow in OD, but found it difficult on the interstate to resist turning the OD back on. I guess I screwed up. I was wondering if I should try to rebuild this myself;bought a book - scared the $&@ out of me. Guess I know what Santa is bringing me -I wanted a lift for my Bronco.