• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Auxiliary Fuel Tank Cleaning

CoronaDog

Loc.
San Antonio
I decided to figure out what was going on with my aux fuel tank. It had only been sending about a gallon or two of fuel before choking out and needing to switch tanks, so I pulled it. To my surprise, it sounded like there was about 2 pounds of pea gravel floating in the tank. Am I correct in assuming this tank is a replacement since it is plastic?

Either way, I am trying to figure out where all this particulate came from! Jealous none bronco owner? Dumb PO, or is this supposed to be there? I am assuming that the only metal is in the filler tube, which I an including a photo of.

Cleaning tips are appreciated :D

The layer of rust gunk wasnt bonded to the filler tube connection, and slide right off.

Attachments

• IMG_20140301_160933.jpg
    IMG_20140301_160933.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 61

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
Ummmm ..... You would be better to just "Garbage Can" it .... Thats how I would clean that mess . If you try and clean it you will still get rust in trough the fuel system and spend more time chasing it then what a new tank is worth.

My 2cents

GloNDark

I think the stock tanks were poly, I know the "stock" aux tank in my 73 was a poly tank. And it fact it looked really similar to what you posted haha. I junked it and bought a replacement tank from wild horses 4x4. It went right in, fit great and has worked awesome for months now.

OP
OP
CoronaDog

CoronaDog

Loc.
San Antonio
Looks like fuel tank replacement replacement has moved up on my list. After further inspection, it turns out the filler tube extends well into the tank enclosure, and has rotted out, and is the source of the gravel in the tank.

Last edited:

Thebrah

Loc.
Sullivan's Island SC
Just had my new rig delivered - had been fully vetted by 2 shops - but unfortunately had same issues each time after filling tanks - went through 4 gas filters and a couple of stall outs hoping it was a small amt of sediment that would filter out but no dice - I've ordered a 23 gal replacement main and stock aux from Tom's - hoping this will "clear" things up for me... Anyone have any experience with either of these? Wishing I didn't have 2 full tanks of gas right now...

Real Big Stache

Loc.
Henderson, NV
Thinking about inspecting both my tanks. I go through filters like paper towels and when infill both tanks I have leaking. Something is not right. I want to remove both and inspect and re do fuel lines, and pump set up. Thinking of doing a frame mounted pump. How hard is it to remove the tanks from underneath?