• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Axle housing cleaning/stripping South GA / North FLA

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Ok, so I have a 9" Bronco axle housing that was left out in the weather for a few years and I need to get it dipped or stripped or cleaned to make sure I can use it. I'm in the coastal Georgia area, half way between Savannah, Ga and Jacksonville, Fla. I haven't had any luck finding anything local to Brunswick, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. If nothing else, some specs/tolerances for the axle bearing and seal area for a big bearing '77 9 inch housing. Thanks in advance. And the housing was out in the weather in North Ga, not on the coast, salt air isn't good for anything but tanning, drinking, and sweating...

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Since the 77 housing is unique it would be very easy to get parts for. The bearings are the same ones used in the ford trucks and big broncos 77 / 78 /79. The bearing is oil bathed and the seal is on the outside head in place by the bearing retainer. If the axle has not been disassembled your job should be easy. If its just the housing I wold take it to a sandblaster. protect the retainer and gasket surfaces and let him go to town on it. Or a high speed drill with some wire wheels is a good do it yourself adventure. Wear protection. Easy job really. Should be a 28 spline but could of been updated

OP
OP
dmoses42

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
Its just the housing and axles, one of the axles was laying in the dirt beside the housing. 28 spline axles, they might be ok but I bought a 79 F150 rear end to use the 3rd member and brake backing plates, and since I'm going to have to go through that anyway, I'm going to put 31 splines in it. I guess I'll dig out my digital calipers and measure where the bearings sit and compare that to some bearing measurements. I'll try to get a few pics of the housing ends posted up in the next few days.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Its just the housing and axles, one of the axles was laying in the dirt beside the housing. 28 spline axles, they might be ok but I bought a 79 F150 rear end to use the 3rd member and brake backing plates, and since I'm going to have to go through that anyway, I'm going to put 31 splines in it. I guess I'll dig out my digital calipers and measure where the bearings sit and compare that to some bearing measurements. I'll try to get a few pics of the housing ends posted up in the next few days.

you know we like pics )