• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

axles backing out

ddnursery

Hey Guys
I need some help, I replaced the rear axle bearings in my 68, We
gave the bronco heck in the back of the property(in a creek
bed), one axle backed out enough to not to connect with the
rear diff. What would cause the bearing retainer to back off?
thanks, Doug

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Have you pulled it apart yet? I had my bearings replaced once and a week later the same thing happened. The bearing retainer was cracked, probably from the stress of pressing on and off.

67ster

Bronco Guru
I might get flamed for this but I generally press the bearing on but heat the retainer ring till dull red and drop it on the axle . You have to be sure it is on straight and goes tight to the bearing and quickly quench the still hot ring with wet rags or a hose .

OP
OP
D

ddnursery

I pulled the axle, thats when I found that the bearing retainer had slid
about 2 inches to the inside. I put a new retainer in when I put the
new bearing in. I just tack welded the retainer in place to prevent it
from doing it again. But something has to be wrong.

bob_lafrentz

Loc.
Cody, WY
I pulled the axle, thats when I found that the bearing retainer had slid
about 2 inches to the inside. I put a new retainer in when I put the
new bearing in. I just tack welded the retainer in place to prevent it
from doing it again. But something has to be wrong.

I'm curious what others think about this tack weld. I've never had an axle slip like this, but have heard about it happening. I figured the next time I had mine apart I would tack weld as well. Any input?

marcm2030

I had a bearing go bad, and the whole axle came out while racing. It bent the axle and ripped the brake shoes off. when I replacd the axle and bearing, I also tack welded the retainer on. That was about two years ago and all is still good.

jabranovich

Loc.
New Castle PA.
We tack weld all our circle track retainers on the 9"axles,I do it on all my customer axles that race,two very tiny small tacks across from each other is all it takes,don't get carrired away,if they stick out to far they will take the seal out.

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I have seen them walk half way out on the highway. Jack it up push it back in and make it home. I usually tack them for good measure.

truehi9

Loc.
Dilworth, MN
We tack weld all our circle track retainers on the 9"axles,I do it on all my customer axles that race,two very tiny small tacks across from each other is all it takes,don't get carrired away,if they stick out to far they will take the seal out.

We used to circle track race and did the same thing.