• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Baofeng again

billtammy

Xmas is coming and it would be nice to give a radio to guys that don't have cb's go wheeling with us and either have frs or rugged radios and whoever is without can communicate. The new baofeng 8w seems too good to be true for the money. Any pro's or cons for occasional use out in the desert or mountains or just buy couple hand held cb's and be done? Thanks

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I bought a cab about 20 years ago and still haven't installed it. At this point its probably worth buying a newer one with more modern options.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
we use em every year during OCBR...

don't think you can go wrong for the money

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Baofeng BF-F8HP is the newer more powerful one. They make a 5 watt one also.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have 7 or 8 of them (lost count don’t remember for sure). I pass them out at trail rides, makes it more fun, helps with spotting and communicates with my 50w VHF radio in the bronco. They have a usable range of 3-4 miles in 5w. With the 50w we’ve talked over 30 miles. The 8w versions are only 8w at full battery at about 60% they are 5w and continues that until almost dead.

Pm me if you want a copy of my frequency list.

OP
OP
B

billtammy

Thanks for the replies but i have a couple more questions. Can you use these right out of the box or do you need programing? Can you put cb or frs frequencies in also to talk to others on the trail?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
you can manually enter the frequencies, works but is tedious and at times impossible if the frequency is not known. Programmed is best, that is what companies like Rugged Radios do and sell the same radio for 5x the price, and they will not program your radio. Yes you can do FRS frequencies but CB is in the incorrect wave length band so no on that.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
you can manually enter the frequencies, works but is tedious and at times impossible if the frequency is not known. Programmed is best, that is what companies like Rugged Radios do and sell the same radio for 5x the price, and they will not program your radio. Yes you can do FRS frequencies but CB is in the incorrect wave length band so no on that.

Or join the cool club with the race radios. haha ;)