• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Barrett Jackson Military Charity 69 Bronco

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
They showed the buyer(s), family affair. An older lady and man with a few kids of various age, looked like normal folk you would see at walmart.

So does George Poteet. Looks mean nothing. Anybody buying cars like this at BJ is not effected by the economy and they have more money than they know what to with. That "walmart family" probably bought 5 other cars this week and don't let them fool you. They were nothing but investments. BJ has make the market horrible for the rest of us! We all know the value of these vehicles and watching what they sell for makes me sick. Enjoy your $500,000 Bronco and your $4.2 million Batmobile!

jcb9089

It's a 40k Bronco, in my opinion but, everyone has their own opinion on value and worth but we can all agree its not worth 500k.

Why do we always have to pick apart things that are positive. It is what it is and being a veteran of 20 years, it's very cool to me.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
I don't think anyone was picking it apart. Just curious as to what the "real value" would have been had it not been a charity auction. The good, rather great news is that it was a charity auction, and raised a ton of money for a good cause!!!

SP66

Bronco Guru
We all know this particular Bronco or most any other Bronco is not an investment. Thank G-d there are folks like this that invest in charities related to our Troops.

dirwin

Loc.
Tyler, Texas
Seriously? "BJ makes the market horrible for the rest of us". How exactly does exposure to the Early Bronco make the market horrible? If raising values, increasing parts availability through the aftermarket sector, and raising awareness of a great vehicle is "horrible", I don't see it. My guess is James Duff would disagree as well.

Not to mention that this particular Bronco raised a ton of money for our vets that suffer from PTSD.

How again is this "horrible"?

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
nice bronco good cause it was worth every penny for the troops! But......................

BJ has done some not so great things for the collector car market. I has caused values to go up WAY UP!!!!!! Now every one that has a early mustang or Camaro thinks its worth 80k. But there not and now it has starteed to rub off on any car or truck that is old people think is worth a ton of money because they saw one a BJ go for 50K... But people are not there to see it in person and know all the build info or history. People also dont realize the cost of puttting the car in the BJ auction and the cost of buying it. 10% from the seller 10% from the buyer. My uncle sold a 68 vette ther a few years ago sold for $100,000 and he had a to pay $10,000 just to BJ not to mention the cost to ship the car there. So you can expect that most cars sold are 10 to 20% over priced just because of the auction hype!

But thats just my two cents !

Brawnko

Loc.
Mechanicsville
I am a CPA self employed tax accountant. This was all about the charity. The charity is required to give in writing anyone donation more than $250 a writen confirmation of the donation and state the value of any goods or services the donor received in exchange for the donation. The amount over the value received is a charitable contribution. And now in 2013 the wealthy are going to get clobered with higher tax brackets so it makes it even more appealing to donate...Maybe that was part of the motivation....I have wealthy clients that donate most if not all of their income!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
That is a Sweet lookin Bronco for sure and a great cause. I would love to see some other pics of the truck to see how nice it really is under that beautiful paint job.

I would guess that most of the parts are direct bolt on offerings from the vendors and there is nothing wrong with that but 100K? :eek:

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK

mtfit

Bronco Guru
Loc.
pa
500K is all about the charity, anymore affording this isnt worried about the market value etc...... good for them.

ericbee

Thats a 50-60k Bronco, trust me when I tell you I just finished one and the parts alone on this truck are more than 40k. Beautiful Engine, well built.

100k? Not ever, no way, not even at $100 per hour labor costs but, certainly the nicest Bronco at the show.

Cobra11

Contributor
Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
A cut Bronco, with a fiberglass hood, fake bead lock wheels, carburetor (non EFI), chopped doors and NO air conditioning is worth 100k?

before you start bashing parts on a nice truck, do some research first. Those are real beadlocks at around $400 + a piece. i have them on mine, and parts add up quickly, especially when you have someone else putting together a truck for you.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Dynatrac ProRock 60 front and rear.

Lots of nice stuff in there.

Definitely alot of nice stuff on that Bronco! The parts definitely add up pretty quick! The paint on the truck alone would probably cost over 8k.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
The definition of Fair Market Value: The amount for which real property or Personal Property would be sold in a voluntary transaction between a buyer and seller, neither of whom is under any obligation to buy or sell.

No, I don't believe this Bronco was sold at Fair Market Value. It was a charitable donation. However, I don't think some of the comments regarding BJ jacking up the prices is warranted. It's an auction, which brings a lot of potential buyers to the table. Those buyers pay what they think it's worth to them. BJ doesn't set a price. Even the reserve is set by the seller. BJ would rather have no reserve on anything. At least then they would be guaranteed a sale no matter where the bidding ended.

In a sense, auctions are a perfect barometer of market conditions for a product. I really don't see how BJ has done a disservice to the Bronco community. If anything, they have reacted to demand; not the other way around. Price is relative. Dropping $100k on a car when you make seven figures is a lot different than dropping $100k when you make $40k a year.

I also think that a lot of people don't put a value on the time it takes to restore or build these vehicles. They only look at what it costs in materials and components. Often they don't even take consumables into consideration! A shop that builds these has employees, taxes, insurance, overhead.... You, building your own, in your spare time, don't have to worry about most of those things.

The bottom line is that not all people have the time or skills to do it themselves. Often times, there time is needed or better spent elsewhere. To get what they want, they need to either hire others to do the work, or buy something they like already completed, if they're lucky enough to find something done to their taste. Hence, when something is done well, and has mass appeal, the prices tend to go up.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
BJ doesn't set a price. Even the reserve is set by the seller.

There is no reserve at Barrett-Jackson on 99% of the cars. If you or I tried to take a car their and set a reserve, they would not accept it, and we've sold upwards of 15 cars there. The only cars that have reserve are in their 'Salon Collection' 5000 series and are valued (appraised) in the 1 Million + range.

Cars that sell there are more market value than at a reserve auction like Mecum or Russo and Steele. The reason? In a reserve auction, the auction house has a responsibility to the seller to sell the vehicle. In a no reserve auction the seller is removed from the equation and the item brings what the market is willing to pay, though the auction has a vested interest in getting the highest price possible for comission reasons.

There are lots of differences in the rules and laws, shill bidding (bidding by the seller or sellers agent) may be allowed in a reserve auction.
Read up.
http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpr...do-auctioneers-have-without-reserve-auctions/
http://mikebrandlyauctioneer.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/different-types-of-auctions/

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I talked to them as well. The one kid told me they had around $150k in it. It was beautiful. Tons and tons of small things they did to customize it. Sound system was incredible as well.

20130118_140752.jpg

20130118_140802.jpg

20130118_140008.jpg

20130118_135941.jpg