• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best deal on a complete third member

patl

Loc.
Maryville, Tn.
While sourcing parts for the KE 4 dr I found a guy on Bristol area CL advertising Nascar rebuilt 3rd members and lockers. He would buy them at end of season, refurbish any bad parts, and sell them to smaller shops and off road guys. The Detroit I got he said was a softlocker- meaning the four small springs were lighter duty than a hardlocker version and would have to be changed for serious wheeling. Seems to me I had seen this option in one of the vendor catalogs years ago (maybe Jeff's). Anyway I took a chance and bought the locker and heavy ribbed housing complete with Daytona pinion support for under $600. Since no serious off road usage was intended I left the lighter springs in. Ride is great and no issues have shown up. At first it didn't feel like a true locker like the Detroit in my '76 until I started driving it more aggressively and could hear the tires bark on sharp turns- did it in Gatlinburg this past weekend. Also the shock to the driveline when it unloads isn't near as violent. Of course longer wheelbase could be a factor. Maybe some of the more knowledgable guys could verify if this is so. So far over 7500 miles with no issues. May be an option between Detroit and Limited slip.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You could get a steel side plate for that limited slip to stop the breakage. Check your local auto parts recycler. Our local pick a part has 40% off day at the end of the month.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Ok, been looking locally for a donor but no luck. Did some math and it would cost effective just to get a new one that is rebuilt with bearing in it and ready to go.
Did some research on the Lockers and honestly I don't think they are for me. I do a little trail riding, nothing crazy just two trail roads and hit a mud hole every now and then but 95% its on the highway. If I do anything I would rather have the air lockers and not have the clanking and banging I have heard the Detroits make. SO...instead of putting the money towards a locker right now, Im going to get a third member with the original limited slip and invest in some 31 spline axles (figured they are the next to break) and if later down the road if I want (which I doubt) I can always put an air locker in it.
On that note when looking at rebuilt third members, are there better bearings than others that some shops put in them??..Maybe the size of them are different??

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
Mark, knowing the wheeling around here I suggest an open rear, and add a lunchbox locker in the front. They are only about $250 and easy to install. No harm in still getting a limited slip in the rear though if you still want to. It all helps ....just a suggestion to save some money.

Hey, I finally started building my shop! We'll have to figure out a Bronco project soon!

Tylet

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Ok, been looking locally for a donor but no luck. Did some math and it would cost effective just to get a new one that is rebuilt with bearing in it and ready to go.
Did some research on the Lockers and honestly I don't think they are for me. I do a little trail riding, nothing crazy just two trail roads and hit a mud hole every now and then but 95% its on the highway. If I do anything I would rather have the air lockers and not have the clanking and banging I have heard the Detroits make. SO...instead of putting the money towards a locker right now, Im going to get a third member with the original limited slip and invest in some 31 spline axles (figured they are the next to break) and if later down the road if I want (which I doubt) I can always put an air locker in it.
On that note when looking at rebuilt third members, are there better bearings than others that some shops put in them??..Maybe the size of them are different??

Really??:?
There was one on every old Ford pick-up.

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Yes...really....you read out of context.....a lot of people drag race in my area....and they treat these things like gold.....and it would be just as cost effective for me to buy new with all new parts in rather than buy one out of an OLD Ford truck and still have OLD Ford truck problems...Not that Im made out of money or anything but I'd rather have newer parts in it....

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

The newest of which are over 30 years old.
They have been picked over for parts for years being popular for hot rods and race cars as well as 4x4 trucks.
Then too, many have crushed for scrap back when it was more than twice as much per ton, after all to many junkyard owners they are just old junk.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...instead of putting the money towards a locker right now, Im going to get a third member with the original limited slip and invest in some 31 spline axles (figured they are the next to break) and if later down the road if I want (which I doubt) I can always put an air locker in it.

Remember that when you're rebuilding the existing limited-slip, you'll have to replace the side gears with the 31 spline version. Yours will have the 28's in it now if that's what the axle shafts tell you when you count the splines.

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Remember that when you're rebuilding the existing limited-slip, you'll have to replace the side gears with the 31 spline version. Yours will have the 28's in it now if that's what the axle shafts tell you when you count the splines.

Paul
Yes, that what got me thinking when I seen '31' option on the third member, doesn't cost any more for the extra splines...:)...
Mark, knowing the wheeling around here I suggest an open rear, and add a lunchbox locker in the front. They are only about $250 and easy to install. No harm in still getting a limited slip in the rear though if you still want to. It all helps ....just a suggestion to save some money.

Hey, I finally started building my shop! We'll have to figure out a Bronco project soon!

Tylet
What is this 'open rear' and 'lunchbox' you speak of??
Glad to hear that your getting around to to your shop, I still have those parts for you (alt/power steering/windshield wiper cover)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MONKEY-GRI...ash=item3d4d89b193:g:2ZkAAOSwUn9aN-gz&vxp=mtr

Gotta check if its steel.

I use a detroit soft locker on the street with 33" tires and it doesn't have bad clunky operation like the old detroits. Just learn to not put power in on tight turns like going around a corner.
But I LOVE doing doughnuts....:cool:. Thanks for all the info but think Im going with limited slip right now until I can save some money for Air Lockers down the road..that is if I still want them....

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that what got me thinking when I seen '31' option on the third member, doesn't cost any more for the extra splines...:)...

Yep. Free on the differential end, but extra for the axle shafts. But well worth it to the peace of mind.
However, truth be told, there are plenty of 28 spline axles running around and living happy and healthy lives still. Just depends on your right foot and other things.
But "if you like having fun, go 31."

The stock 28 spline axles were more than good enough for 99% of Broncos with open differentials. However, those with factory limited-slip diffs, and especially those with aftermarket lockers, started feeling the pain right away when they were hitting the harder trails. Lots of shafts sheared off at the splines.
Some thought that was why Broncos were banned from the Jeeper's Jamboree for so many years. But I think it had more to do with broken steering boxes and the lack of replacement parts, than it did the much more easily obtained and replaced axle shafts.
But most events tended to have Jeep parts handy, and virtually zero Bronco parts. So it was fabrication-city or long trips to town with high hopes.

What is this 'open rear' and 'lunchbox' you speak of??

An "open" diff is a standard one with no properties for sending power down the axle with the most traction. An open diff may have gotten it's name because the center carrier (the differential itself) was actually open and basically "see-through" on most differential designs.
But that's only a guess. Never heard why it's called that, and the term was around long before I was.

The "lunchbox" lockers are the ones like Aussie, LA/Lockrite and Detroit EZ Locker, and others that internally mimic the Detroit Locker but are just bits and pieces of them without the outer case. So they're less expensive and easier for a consumer to install without any specialized differential setup knowledge and tooling.
The idea was to install the units into your existing stock differential to get a locker. They're considered weaker for that reason because they're only as strong as your existing open case. But hey, even Detroits break!
The term was meant to describe the fact that you could install one on your lunch break. Hence the "lunchbox" moniker.

But I LOVE doing doughnuts....:cool:. Thanks for all the info but think Im going with limited slip right now until I can save some money for Air Lockers down the road..that is if I still want them....

You won't unless you get out in the dirt more often. Although, like a winch, it only takes that one time!;D

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Thanks Paul for all the info...you will be seeing a order for some axles real soon...:)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great, thanks!

Probably didn't even need to mention 28 splines in my last answer. I'd forgotten just what started this thread!

Here's something to think about... (as if you needed anything more)
Don't forget that there are 35-spline shaft options as well. Reason I mention it now is that if you think you might go bigger with engine or tire size in the future, or get more into the hard off-road stuff, then now is the time to make that decision.
The Truetrac is available in 35 spline, and the new aftermarket heavy-duty center sections usually are the larger size ones that allow the fitment of a 35 spline axle.

So if that's in your future you know not to take advantage of a great deal you saw on a stock center section/chunk/hogshead/etc. because the side bearings are too small to fit the larger 35 spline axle shafts.

You will likely be fine with 31's, but we might as well bring up the subject here and now while you're deciding how, where and when to move forward.

Paul

OP
OP
kat

kat

Loc.
Bristol
Great, thanks!

Probably didn't even need to mention 28 splines in my last answer. I'd forgotten just what started this thread!

Here's something to think about... (as if you needed anything more)
Don't forget that there are 35-spline shaft options as well. Reason I mention it now is that if you think you might go bigger with engine or tire size in the future, or get more into the hard off-road stuff, then now is the time to make that decision.
The Truetrac is available in 35 spline, and the new aftermarket heavy-duty center sections usually are the larger size ones that allow the fitment of a 35 spline axle.

So if that's in your future you know not to take advantage of a great deal you saw on a stock center section/chunk/hogshead/etc. because the side bearings are too small to fit the larger 35 spline axle shafts.

You will likely be fine with 31's, but we might as well bring up the subject here and now while you're deciding how, where and when to move forward.

Paul
I have looked into the 35 spline deal but the old girl ain't going to see that much off road. But Im with you on the 'while your in there' attitude...that is why Im going with the 31 spline instead of the 28. Im sure the 28 will be fine but if lockers are in the future then I wanted something a little stronger, and I do like your axles....;D