• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best headers for a 351?

Miker

Bronco Guru
I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone of the vendors make headers that are great fits for a 351. If so, who has em' and are they shorty's, ceramic, cost etc.?
Thanks

OP
OP
M

Miker

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I know, but I remember some guys saying that there were some that were less problematic with the 351's,, one of the shorty's I believe.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably so. With longies, you have to make sure that the slightly higher location won't cause any interference with something like clutch, or auto tranny linkages.
There are some that flat out won't fit, such as the 2-piece Blackjack brand. What they do is have the front two cylinders wrap in front of the motor mount towers, then join back up to the rear two behind the towers. With that setup you can't just raise things up and still have them fit.

I don't remember hearing anyone having trouble with the shorties. Other than paying the higher price that is!
And speaking of that, with the 351 and a set of the WH Extreme motor mounts you could probably fit a Mustang shorty just fine. Hood clearance though, now that might be another issue.

Paul

rcmbronc

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tomah WI
And speaking of that, with the 351 and a set of the WH Extreme motor mounts you could probably fit a Mustang shorty just fine. Hood clearance though, now that might be another issue.

Paul

Even with extreme motor mounts stock Mustang headers with 351 fit like crap. I would go with either Wild Horses or BC

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
I got the BC Shorty headers a few months ago. For me, a rookie installer, they were not too cumbersome to install. They supply all the bolts as the stck header bolts are too short. Make sure both headers have the dimples. If not the bolt will go in sideways as it rubs on the header. The driver's side header had the dimples, but not the passenger's side. I had to create my own dimples using an aluminum round bar and hammer. Luckily it did not ruin the ceramic finish. After that the bolts slid right on in!!

Here is a link to my header install:

http://carolinabroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3690

Good luck!!