• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best Manual

friendswoodmatt

I have a 1976 with a stock 302 -- I was wondering what the best manual is for working on it. I don't wrench much, but I am learning and I want to be able to do most of the engine work myself with my 2 sons help.
Thanks for the input

patterdale

Bronco Guru
Cruise Ebay. The original Ford truck shop manuals that the mechanics used come up once in a while. I got a full set electrical, engine, chassis I believe for @ 65 bucks. There is a third title that goes with one of them to make 4 volumes in 3 books I don't have them here to give you the exact names but you get the idea. If you can't find these there are Chiltons and Haynes manuals out there that will work

OP
OP
F

friendswoodmatt

thanks -- I don't know what all the PO did to this thing, so I think Chiltons or haynes will prob work. I know he misrepresented alot about it-- but that's all in the past now-- Once I get this thing running cool and I can drive it-- It is all gonna be worth it.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I guess it depends on what work you plan on doing. When i was 19 i completly tore down and rebuilt my 68 289 with help from a video and a book from the library. In fact the book was so helpful that i never did return it but instead told them i lost it and paid them for it. 15 years later i was reading some stuff from that book again when i fired up that motor for the first time. I laugh every time i still see the libraries name sticker on it and the call number. I think this might be the first and last book i have ever read from cover to cover.;D

How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines written by Tom Monroe

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Ford-Engines/dp/0912656891
I think i paid at least that 15 years ago! Looking again i see you can buy it used for as little as 8 bucks.

VT_Don

The only Ford service manuals of value are published by Helm. Same as used by dealers. Chilton is ok, and Haynes are friggn' worthless. I have seen PDF copies of Helm manuals online for very fair money. Try finding the driveline inclination angle or Duraspark diagnoses in a Haynes manual.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
I like the original Ford Shop manuals. I have a set for my 67 and my 73. I also use an OLD Chilton manual for quick referance. I also have a how to rebuild a Ford engine book that is great for internal engine work. I have used it to rebuild a 289, 302, and a 390 big block.

blamejane

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess it depends on what work you plan on doing. When i was 19 i completly tore down and rebuilt my 68 289 with help from a video and a book from the library. In fact the book was so helpful that i never did return it but instead told them i lost it and paid them for it. 15 years later i was reading some stuff from that book again when i fired up that motor for the first time. I laugh every time i still see the libraries name sticker on it and the call number. I think this might be the first and last book i have ever read from cover to cover.;D

How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines written by Tom Monroe

http://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Small-Block-Ford-Engines/dp/0912656891
I think i paid at least that 15 years ago! Looking again i see you can buy it used for as little as 8 bucks.

Great story bkn! Thanks for the laugh (and the resource). ;D