• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best off road tire?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Great feedback to learn from here. :)

I'm shopping for tires but since nobody has 4 of ANYthing in the entire country I get to buy later this winter after they go up in price another 20%. :(

Edit update: (except ProComp's)

Last edited:

eb-nutt1

BFG Krawler Red Labels are the worst I've ever seen in snow, might as well run slicks. fresh virgin snow, 12", will not go in a straight line, will follow every groove like like its a rail if it will even move forward at all. Put them in gravel and they pick it up and throw it like they are velco, put them in the snow and its like that velco turns to slime.

Yeller, the maxxis version if treps for sxs's in the sticky version is the same way...we did a ride at windrock in early Jan, snowed about 4-6" the first night according to the elevation...3 sxs's in the group running stickies might as well been on drag slicks, one looped around 3 times going down a snow covered dirt road.

36Fan

Contributor
I run BFG KM3, KO2 and race tires on 6 of my vehicles with no complaints. I ran both race and street Toyo's a few times but went back to BFG. Tried MTR's a few times but they were the worse all around tire for my needs of them all.

snipes243

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Huntersville, NC
I have been running the maxxis bias Treps. They have seen to like everything I have thrown at them so far. They are also ready soft for a non sticky tire, Only down side is the wear quickly if you drive on road a ton. Another good all round tire is the Nitto trail grabbers .

nvrstuk

Contributor
Like many of us have said for decades... we need 4 sets of tires/wheels for all the different terrain we travel on. :)

I need one set to get me up to snowbashing territory so I don't literally slide off the road (only 20 miles away, and another set for up there

Last edited:

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cant understand blowout sidewalls on KM3 unless overloaded, overheated, or ripped up on rocks. You mean blew off the rim because low pressure, or totally wrecked? In AZ, KM style are the be all end all for sand mud rock. There may be better specific tire for specific use, but all around, and for cheapest cost, lightest weight, KM3.

CowboyGrin

Contributor
the circus looks like fun
Loc.
Oklahoma
Something that hasn't been brought up is the importance of sidewall rating. A "C" rating is going to benefit you for ride quality, contact patch and the tires ability to conform to the terrain. You do not need a D or more common "E" rating. Those are for loaded pickups.
Why is it so difficult to find a C rated 37" tire for 17" rims? There seem to be more options for C rated 37xR15 tires than 37xR17. Also can find C rated tires for 17" rims in 35" and 38" or bigger sizes. 37xR17 seems forgotten by the manufacturers.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Market-

Pickup market. 17"s were the common OE rim size and if you carry a load you don't want a C rated tire.

Just like 15" rim/tire selection. Market is disappearing so the selection is where the money is

CowboyGrin

Contributor
Loc.
Oklahoma
Market-

Pickup market. 17"s were the common OE rim size and if you carry a load you don't want a C rated tire.

Just like 15" rim/tire selection. Market is disappearing so the selection is where the money is
I hear ya, just surprised there isn't a big enough market with all the j**ps I see everyday.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I remember when 33x9.50's were big then 35"s, then 40"s... like you mentioned 17" rims are more common in larger dia tires. Heck, the new Broncos come with 37" tires stock! Who would have thought that 10 yrs ago??

Anyway, good luck finding what you need!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I’ve found running air pressure around 22-24 psi makes a 37 D or E rated tire ride and handle very well. Have worn out multiple sets testing the theory, lots and lots of miles.

67sport

Contributor
Loc.
Vancouver Island, Canada
Why is it so difficult to find a C rated 37" tire for 17" rims? There seem to be more options for C rated 37xR15 tires than 37xR17. Also can find C rated tires for 17" rims in 35" and 38" or bigger sizes. 37xR17 seems forgotten by the manufacturers.
What 37's of any rating are you seeing for 15's? Aside from TSL, I can't find much available at all. That's what I'd like to run, but I've currently resigned to staying with what i have until I can switch to 17" wheels.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
15's are dying for large tires, not enough call for them. TSL and Maxxis Creepy's are the only 2 left that I know of.

Last edited:

CowboyGrin

Contributor
Loc.
Oklahoma
What 37's of any rating are you seeing for 15's? Aside from TSL, I can't find much available at all. That's what I'd like to run, but I've currently resigned to staying with what i have until I can switch to 17" wheels.
Not a ton of options, but more than 17's in C-rated. Toyo has the Open Country M/T in 37X14.50R15LT and Nitto has Mud Grappler in 38x15.50R15LT (both C-rated). Saw a number of Super Swampers as stated, also C-rated. Could have sworn I saw a few others, but can't find them at moment. Wasn't really shopping or paying close attention to 37's in the 15" variety, was specifically looking for C-rated 37's in 17" wheels.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Ooooo I just learned a new trick! I can access my computer from my phone and it predictively searches… scary lol

Attachments

• IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 10