• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best steel body kit?

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Hi guys! Been away for awhile but May be back in the game with a new project. I’m looking at either a total body restoration or just cutting to corner with a new steel tub.

Research shows there are a bunch of options out there and they all proclaim to be the “best”. Does anyone have first hand experience with the available steel tub kits? Looking for the good, bad and ugly before I invest $8-$10k.

OR - should I buy an assemble it yourself kit at ~$5k?

OR - should I invest the sweat, blood and time into the original body?

I have the skill, tools, space and patience to do any option above. I want to be smart, but budget conscious.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Bump…. Anyone using one of these bodies!

Don’t make me be the Guinea pig!!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess everyone was kind of ignoring you and hoping someone else would chime in first because the answers are all over the place!

I suppose it really depends on how bad your body is in the first place. If you can maybe take some pictures of the bad areas it would be a good thing to jumpstart the conversation.

I know that most of the discussions about premade bodies are about how there was a lot of fine-tuning work left to be done on it. Half the people were happy and super glad they did it that way, while the other half say they should’ve just built their own or started with their original body.

There is just that much work to be done on some. And no telling about any shipping damage to take care of in spite of how well most of them are packaged.

I think you your price estimates might be a little on the low side. Does anyone actually advertise between eight and ten thousand right now? Seems like the more common pricing is between 12 and 15 just to start.
But it’s been a while for me so I could be off on that.
Maybe others will fill in that detail.

Making your own from a kit is a huge amount of work, but it’s very rewarding and certainly more budget friendly in the beginning.
Depends on just how much time you have to invest in the project.

Good luck!

CabinCruiser

Contributor
I bought a 73 U15 back in the fall and have started my frame off restoration. I have had the same considerations as you and I've decided to go with the Wild Horses Mega Kit (or whatever) that comes with everything. The challenge of putting the tub together was one of the things I was most looking forward to when I bought the truck, so I'm not interested in an assembled tub. If you are, I can't imagine anyone is doing it better than Dennis Carpenter.
I've spoken with the WH guys and apparently with the cost of gas I can count on at least $1k for the freight shipping to Minnesota. Might be more for an assembled tub, so that's something to consider also.

OP
OP
jeffncs

jeffncs

Contributor
Loc.
Raleigh, NC
Thanks guys. I have a couple lining up and not sure I want ti deal with a massive rust repair vs building my own from repro parts vs just buying a finished body.

Once I have a truck, I’ll share pics and you’ll likely have a better idea about my starting point.