• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Best upper intake for a 5.8?

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Too bad, I think everybody got all excited there for a second.

Regarding that hole in the center, it could be egr, but couldn't it also be a manifold preheat tube to help with cold weather warmup. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it connects to the center water jacket.

mattt

Bronco Guru
The hole in the center is for EGR.....at least it is on my factory Lightning intakes.

OP
OP
H

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Don't really have to, but it doesn't hurt anything. Beyond that, if its running properly, it can actually improve economy.

Scrapper_MV

I picked up a GT40 5.8 manifold yesterday, it's cast iron. It took some calling around but I found one for a great price at a local boat mechanics shop.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Nice. I didn't think it would have the EGR port but it does. Looks like a great option for those wanting to EFI the 351w.

Scrapper_MV

What did the marine engines use for an upper?

I don't know. The engine that this came off of did not have an upper. I know that OMC made these engines. Actually they just "Marinized" Ford engines. I think Volvo Penta did too. The Volvo pieces are aluminum with bronze inserts at the cooling ports, and are even harder to find than Lightning manifolds. Retail price for the iron OMC uppers is $550 and $1470 for the aluminum Volvos. But you can find used ones for $50-100 if you shop around.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Second on that little hole being internal EGR port, just got mine, my old E7 head has the exhaust hole, x303 has none, interesting...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the IAC is the sensor on your #5 runner
QUOTE]

Unless I have my acronyms messed up , you mean ACT , not IAC.

ACT = air charge temp. sensor
IAC = Idle air control , which is on the TB.
TB = throttle body ;D

Goldhawg

Mike, I have the GT40 setup on a 351 on an engine stand. If you'd like to stop by and measure, you are more than welcome to. I've always been under the impression that the GT40 intake has the lowest overall height. It's usually the truck intake that is too tall.

Can anyone confirm the height of the GT40 lower, explorer upper? Will this fit under stock hood w/no body lift? How does this height compare with the regular truck EFI lower, BC broncos adapter and the mustang upper?

And now that we know a marine intake works, who knows a source for them? You don't have to reveal the source until you buy yours first!:)

OX1

Bronco Guru
I don't know. The engine that this came off of did not have an upper. I know that OMC made these engines. Actually they just "Marinized" Ford engines. I think Volvo Penta did too. The Volvo pieces are aluminum with bronze inserts at the cooling ports, and are even harder to find than Lightning manifolds. Retail price for the iron OMC uppers is $550 and $1470 for the aluminum Volvos. But you can find used ones for $50-100 if you shop around.

They made an iron EFI upper, man that must be one heavy motha. My 94 OMC 5.8 EFI Cobra engine had an alum upper. Only 4 manufacturers used OMC engines in 94, Chris Craft being one of them (I had a 21' cuddy bought new that year). It was rated 270 engine and 255 @ the prop, IIRC.