• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

best way to fish wiper wires?

BBronco

Loc.
B.C Canada
Is there a easier way to fish them through the windshield. I am attempting to do it with the windshield up because I don't want to disturb the paint on the hinge. Anyone have any good ideas, Or just try try try more than what I already have.

Thanks

70_Steve

Old Guy
On a Bronco with no top, I used a coathanger. Also did the same thing on the passenger's side to fish speaker wires up to the roll cage.

Edit: You can also use solid strand house wire, like 14 gauge... More flexable.

broncobliss

Loc.
Half Moon Bay
There is special lube that will help you out, don't remember the name of it, but it is specially designed for electrical wires. Google search should set you in the right direction. A friend set me up when I did mine, helped allot.

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I used some 3/32" carbon TIG rod that I had lying around but you could use some 14 gauge ground wire like what was mentioned above and tape the wires onto the rod and fish it through the frame. I've done it numerous times and it just takes some work and patience.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Dielectric grease is used when you want to keep something dry...It does not conduct electicty......You are wanting to use ...a Wire Pulling Compound....KLEIN...most likely sells it....you also may find it at True Value....or Lowes

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I used to run parts for an electrical contracting company back in college. What you need is a Mouse! It's a trick for pulling wire through long runs. They use a foam plug attached to a nylon string and blow it through with a CO2 tank that has a rubber plug with a hole for the string on the end of the hose.

I did my wires this way, just get some nylon string, shove it in the hole and blow it through with an air gun. You won't believe how fast you can get that string from one point to another.

Next, get a few of the wires together and lay about 4" of the string along side end to end and tape together with electrical tape. Then take the rest of the wires and tape them to the first batch a little farther down so that you end up going from string to 3 wires to 6 wires, etc.. Then pull them through, if you don't want to use grease a simple wet bar of soap will work just fine to lube them up without a oily mess.

Another thing I did on my frame was to drill a 1/4" hole near the bend. There are some sharp corners inside that frame that can strip the wires. If you drill the 1/4" hole and shove a bolt or phillips screwdriver in the hole, the wires will pull against the rounded shaft rather than the sharp corner of the frame and keep them from getting damaged. Once you're done, put a plug or grommet in the hole to cover it up.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I use an old welding wire liner, but a 1/8" spiral wound drain snake does the trick. Haven't had the need to lube one, but wouldn't hurt.