• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

binding on clutch

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
I got the transmission (finally) installed using the kick the tail housing to get the Trans in method. Actually went in fairly easily. It's an AX 15, so new pilot bearing, clutch disk.

Now I have the adjustment turned down pretty far - and since I'm using the stock 3-finger clutch shouldn't need much adjusting (did not need a body lift). I have a HUGE hole in the trans tunnel which made the install much easier (from PO) so I can access the tailshaft and the pedal at the same time.

With the pedal fully depressed, I cannot get the tailshaft to budge (not even a little play) when the trans is in gear - moves freely in neutral. I don't think the clutch is putting any clamp force on the clutch plate. Could I be binding on the pilot bearing somehow?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You could need to looesn the adjustment up a little. If the adjustment is to tight the pressure plate fingers can over travel and actually re-enguage the clutch. Its either that you it needs more adjustment as the pressure plate may not be lifting off enough to allow the disc to free wheel.

OP
OP
lonicus

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
I will see if I'm over engaged - I know the clutch lifted as its the only way I could align the trans/pilot to begin with, felt it dislodge...

Maby if I van get better leverage on it I can get the trans to start moving and it will loosen up? don't want to shred anything