• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blinkers no Blink

BroncoKid

Loc.
Baytown Tx
Blinkers light up but no longer blink, changed fuses and flasher. but they still dont work!

Have a Ron Francis harness and this was working fine when first installed.

pgilchri

Loc.
Glasgow, MT
When my blinkers quit working I think I had to change the flasher 4 times before I got one that worked. (cheap buss flasher).

-Patrick

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p Napa one can of blinker fluid. I would bet on the flasher being bad or not the right one good luck and have fun:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D

tim70

Loc.
SF Bay, CA
Check to make sure your bulbs are not burnt out and they have a good connection with the socket contacts too. I had a similar issue (only on one side) and the bulb was fine. I had to remove and insert the same bulb a few times before the connection was made and everything works.

OP
OP
B

BroncoKid

Loc.
Baytown Tx
The emergency flashers arnt flashing either, we changed the flashers out multiple times. and they still dont blink!
All of the blinker lights work so I dont think this could be a bulb or connection problem..What the heck is going on here?

I have 12V at the fuse panel and it drops to 8V and stays there with the turn signal on....

Last edited:

TBP

What do you have for a emergency flasher switch? Is it on the dash or in the column?

TBP

helo-mech

Have they ever worked? Did you change the bulbs recently? Are you sure that you have double filament bulbs? There should be two filaments and two connection points in the bottom of the bulb housing. Sorry if they are all double filament already.....not trying to insult you.....I just always start at the easy stuff.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I had the same problem, went through a whole lotta cheap flashers, bought one of the $10 ones that are all electronic and you can actually see the parts moving in side...fixed it. if that still doesn't fix it i would start looking at your switches.

Grant

OP
OP
B

BroncoKid

Loc.
Baytown Tx
Have they ever worked? Did you change the bulbs recently? Are you sure that you have double filament bulbs? There should be two filaments and two connection points in the bottom of the bulb housing. Sorry if they are all double filament already.....not trying to insult you.....I just always start at the easy stuff.

Yes the hazard and blinkers were working great until time to go get it inspected..Seems the Bronco doesnt want to have its checkup...All the bulbs work and if you manualy move the blinker switch on and off, all looks fine.

I dont think there is a short or the bulb wouldt work...has to be some way to track this down..

helo-mech

All the bulbs work and if you manualy move the blinker switch on and off, all looks fine.

I dont think there is a short or the bulb wouldt work...has to be some way to track this down..

Mine was doing this when I picked it up.

So if you put the switch to the left, your front and rear left blinkers lite up and stay lit? They just dont blink right? If this is true I would take off the covers both front and rear......take out the bulbs and clean the housing both on the bottom of the bulb and the buckets. Use a wire brush or a little bit of sandpaper. put the bulbs back in and try it again. I had to do mine probably 4 times to get them to work. Start with one side and see if you can get that side to work. If not then maybe you got another bad flasher.

helo-mech

Wow......not that it should matter, but he is 16 and trying to work on his Bronco. I see a lot of 16 year olds in my subdivision that I wish we out trying to work on something instead of beings little punks. Way to help.

If you know him or something then say that in your post so everyone else will know that you are just ribbing him. If not then just don't help. I know you are a Guru and I'm not so I'll probably get some flack for saying this, but oh well. I'd rather not be a Guru than be a guru that acts like that.

BroncoKid.....if you want to drive over to League City I will take a look at it with you. Not saying we xan get it fixed, but we can try.

Last edited:

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
What year is your rig Kid?

I've probably got the schematic that I can email to you, or post up here.

Start with the usual suspects, dirty grounds, loose connections, worn out pieces (sockets, switches) If you don't have a continuity meter (they can be had pretty cheap) get one to test things like this, it'll save you a lot of frustration, and needless part changing.

Electronic flashers are far superior to the cheap ones, I learned that lesson the hard way too (and with the right one, it'll work if you switch to LED lamps later on)

Helo - lighten up, 'twas a joke.

OP
OP
B

BroncoKid

Loc.
Baytown Tx
It was a good joke. too bad they were sold out though:p

Thank you Helo-mech for your kindness. character like yours is what makes this site a pleasure and a learning experience.

Our next plan of attack will be pull all the bulbs out and start from there, I’ll report back with the outcome.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
One more thing - make sure the bulbs are put in the right way. They're bi-pin, and if in backwards won't always work quite right. I still haven't sorted this anomaly out.

They should be 1157 lamps, it's worth it to step up to the 1157LL (Long Life) from Wagner or Sylvania (others may offer them too)

If cleaning and replacing the lamps, as well as a good electronic flasher don't cut it, you may be looking at a new column harness. Don't worry, it sounds scarier than it really is. Take pictures of it all as you take it apart, to reference when you're putting it back together. There's plenty of us here that have done it, if you run into a snag, holler out, someone will have the answer.

Keep an eye here and on the LEBC list, there should be some get-togethers coming up in the greater Houston area soon (D/FW as well)

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
the turn signal cam might be bad and then by the sounds of it you are not drawing enough voltage to make the flasher work. check the voltage draw after the flasher and see what that is and then write back ill think some more about it. dont worry it only took me 5 days to get mine working again but then all the wires under my dash were cut.