• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blinkers won't work

Tulsa76bronco

Any suggestions as to why my blinkers might not work? Other than the wiring of course. ;D

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

How would I check that. I should mention at all my lights work except for the two bottom white on the tail lights.

Brewbro21

How would I check that. I should mention at all my lights work except for the two bottom white on the tail lights.

The white ones in your tail light are your backup lights. Turn key to on and put it in reverse then check.

Timstrk

Flasher unit under the dash. Two of them. One for emergency four ways and one for turns. Swap them and see if they work.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
^^^^this. If it works they are cheap and easy. Otherwise it more checking. It is possible the switch in the column is bad, takes a bit of testing to confirm. Have you noticed if the front turn signals light up with the brake lights? If they do the switch is bad.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Brewbro tried that to see if brake activated the lights...no go one is pretty rusted might have to get another pigtail, bought new bulbs

thanks guys guess I will try under the dash

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If neither the brake lights OR turn signal lights work, check that your 4-way emergency flashers work.
If they do not, it could still be in the light bulbs, the lamp sockets, the housings are not grounded to the body (the backup lamps have their own separate ground wire however), the wiring between the firewall and the back of the truck (do you have dual exhaust or has some suspension or under-frame work been done recently?), or the turn signal switch in the column.
All of the above are very common ailments with Broncos. Has the Bronco been painted recently?
The turn signal flasher would only effect the turn signals, but would have no effect on the brake lights, or hazards. However both of them could be worn out.
You could also have multiple issues. Well, you do have multiple issues since the backup lamps might be a separate issue in themselves.

Is this an automatic transmission, or manual? If an auto you need to check your wiring right up to the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission. These fail often too, now that the Broncos are all getting close to that magic number 50 in truck-years.

When did this start? Is this your '76 or something else?

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

thanks Paul will check some of these things. This is for my 77 which I am just now checking lights. These issues have been the same since I bought it. To be honest I am surprised that all the lights work except the two at the bottom of the rear housings and the of course the blinkers (which I will probably never use)but hey might as well get them working

I might have to get some pig tales for those bottom two lights do you know the part number at WH if I need them as one is all rusted. Of course this is not my issue for blinkers but might as well fix it all.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I don't believe we offer a socket to replace the backup lamps. And even though we do offer one for the other rear lamp socket, I still recommend replacing the whole reflector. Unless you are really good at soldering, or figuring out a better way to attach the sockets to their original holes, you're better off with a whole new housing.

Rust will definitely stop the electrons from flowing and the lights from working. So will bad bulbs, twisted contacts at the base of the socket, and missing or damaged (or again, just rusty) ground wires where they attach to the body inside the rear light cavity.

Paul

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

I replaced my entire housings on tail lights still same issue with the bottom light on each side not working. I did replace them with used one but what is the chance they also don't work:eek:
It is probably something in the wiring somewhere,....guess I really don't need them all the other lights work

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easy enough to make a cursory search of the wires along the driver side frame rail. Many Broncos especially with dual exhaust have damage to one wire or another along that stretch. Even without the exhaust, sometimes rocks jump up and crush a wire, or someone doing some work under there does some damage at some point. Happens quite often.

Paul

lewain

My turn signals stopped working a while back a I just couldn't figure out why.
When I installed the Vintage A/C I re-grounded my engine to frame to body. Now I have things working that didn't work before.

OP
OP
Tulsa76bronco

Tulsa76bronco

Thanks Lewain I just had everything grounded to frame also but no dice just have to wait until I get a new harness no biggie