• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Blueprint 306 cam compatible with Dura Spark Distributor Gear

Mab1219

I bought the Blueprint Maxlider 306 and am putting the full Sniper Kit with Dura Spark Distributor. The tag on the motor said to use only a melonized steel gear and the Dura Spark is a melonized iron gear. Ive heard different opinions on compatibility but am hoping someone has the right answer. If I need to change the gear, a part # would be great too. Thanks a ton.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Anyone that has an "opinion" that it is ok to run cast iron geared distributor instead of steel in a roller engine is just plain wrong. You spent a lot of money on a nice engine, listen to the builder.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Anyone that has an "opinion" that it is ok to run cast iron geared distributor instead of steel in a roller engine is just plain wrong. You spent a lot of money on a nice engine, listen to the builder.

^^^^^ what he said.

Comp Cams has the gears. Two possibilities:
431M for a 0.468" shaft diameter
435M for a 0.531" shaft diameter

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also reccomend calling Blueprint to insure what you have and answer that. They are great on suppport

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they say.

Plus, are you sure what the dizzy has as a gear material? Is it new or reused? For the small hassle and cost, might be a great time to install a known gear material.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
It's a no-brainer. Blueprint specifies in no uncertain terms that you need to use a melonized steel gear with their roller cam engines. They get the cams from Comp Cams, and guess what they specify?

Every minute you spend debating whether or not you should get one, when you know you have to, is a minute of your life you'll never get back.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I just bought an Edelbrock Proflo 4 kit. It comes with an iron gear on the distributor. It’s not compatible with the cam in my Blueprint motor. Edelbrock sells a steel gear for it, but guess what? They’re out of stock for months!

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd try different sellers, and then google anyone making that. Got to be many sitting on shelves.

pmansfield64

Contributor
I just bought an Edelbrock Proflo 4 kit. It comes with an iron gear on the distributor. It’s not compatible with the cam in my Blueprint motor. Edelbrock sells a steel gear for it, but guess what? They’re out of stock for months!

I too have the BP 306 w/ pro flow 4 and read on Edelbrock's Forum that the gear that comes on the PF 4 dizzy will work. Now I'm confused.

https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/pro-flo-efi/pro-flo-4/26707-pro-flo-4-distributor-gear

OP
OP
M

Mab1219

Sorry for the delay is response, I appreciate all the input given. I talked to Blueprint directly and they said the melonized iron gear that comes on the Holley Hyperspark Distributor is compatible with the cam they put in the 306 based on the fact that it’s melonized. I am going to ask for that in writing before final install and run. If they do that, then I’m convinced..
Hope this helps someone else out there.