• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Lift Procedure

myx70

Loc.
Needles, CA
Just looking for technique and some of the procedures you guys have used to install body lft. Just bought urethane 2" from a guy off e bay. I'm at stock right now. Please let me know of some good ideas. Thanks.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Fuel filler neck will need to be changed to handle extra distance.
Radiator shroud will need to be lowered to stay centered on the fan.
Pay attention to your clutch/throttle linkage.. as well as shifter linkage.
Pay attention to your brake Master Cyl lines that go to the frame.. the distance will change there too.

Make sure your steering shaft has a rag joint.. loosen the steering wheel or just remove it so the shaft can drop down some, then reattach.

Once done, look close for all the wires to make sure nothing is too short or rubbing.

Getting the old mounts off is tough if they are old.. you will likely use a sawzall (spray wd40 on the blade while cutting) to cut most off... or a torch to burn them out.. I prefer cutting them.

Good luck

OP
OP
M

myx70

Loc.
Needles, CA
Great help!

67EB_in_619 said:
Fuel filler neck will need to be changed to handle extra distance.
Radiator shroud will need to be lowered to stay centered on the fan.
Pay attention to your clutch/throttle linkage.. as well as shifter linkage.
Pay attention to your brake Master Cyl lines that go to the frame.. the distance will change there too.

Make sure your steering shaft has a rag joint.. loosen the steering wheel or just remove it so the shaft can drop down some, then reattach.

Once done, look close for all the wires to make sure nothing is too short or rubbing.

Getting the old mounts off is tough if they are old.. you will likely use a sawzall (spray wd40 on the blade while cutting) to cut most off... or a torch to burn them out.. I prefer cutting them.

Good luck
67EB, thanks. Good to know those things. Do you have any suggestions on how to support it up while making the change out? Should I do all of one side then the other? Appreciate your help.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
myx70 said:
67EB, thanks. Good to know those things. Do you have any suggestions on how to support it up while making the change out? Should I do all of one side then the other? Appreciate your help.

I've never done one but I would think that you would at least need to remove all the body mount bolts before you start. In other words, probably can't get away doing one at a time? The two in the front and rear should be the easiest access wise. Its the ones in the middle that are going to be tough.

As for supporing it, if you have a floor jack, you could use that with perhaps a block of wood (or two) to lift the body on the mount you are working with. When installed, lower the jack and move to the next one.

broncomanbrad

Loc.
Roseau, MN
I think it would work fine doing one side at a time. Just make sure the other side is free of the mounting bolts. If you do it this way you have to also make sure it doesn't slide off so don't jack it up too high.

stretch

Loc.
Montgomery, TX
I recently completed a body lift. All of the above mentioned hints are great. I'll add one more. If you can loosen the opposite side you want to start with. Do not remove the bolts. When you jack up the side you want to start on, you don't want the body to slide to the downhill side. If can't loosen the opposite side, you may want to cut them out and use a couple of the bolts out of the kit just to keep everything lined up.

67EB_in_619

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego
Yeah.. what stretch said.. but you can also just put a 2x4 under the side @ the rocker or under the floor and jack it up from there... that way you only have to jack it up once per side...

Lift the left, swap mounts.. drop it down.
Lift the right, swap mounts.. drop it down.
Torque everything accordingly.
Drink beer.
Done.