• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Mount frame repair question

aklb43

So decided to change out my old crusty body mounts only to find the frame has rusted significantly where the rear most body mounts mate with the frame.

I read a post on here about someone welding some 3" washers to the top of the frame where all the body mounts go, but he was doing a frame off restore of the frame, which would make access to the body mount areas much easier to weld on.

I don't really want to pull the whole tube off the frame just to weld a few washers to the frame on the body mount areas.

Any ideas on best way to approach this problem?

Dave

photo1nb.jpg

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I only use the "washer" repair method on the four mounts that are hung off the side of the frame. For that spot there, I cut a rectangular repair patch out of 1/8" steel, the width of the frame, holesaw the correct hole dia. and weld the patch on along its edges.

JLBachs

I did my left front with the washer method - just jacked it up a little higher to get a grinder wheel in there. It was kind of a pain but ya can't really go back with it till something's done or it will eat on you.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

thanks for the advice. I have called a welder to come out and see what he thinks he can do. I wish I knew how to weld, he charging 80$ per hour.
Is this something i can accomplish with a little stick welder and no welding experience and a little practice? Just wondering.

Dave

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

I think ill weld the ones that need welding, and just put an extra washer on the ones that don't need welding.

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
I bought from Mcmaster-Carr p/n- 91083A041. Abit over $4 for a box of 5. Abit cheaper than the vendors $13.

OP
OP
aklb43

aklb43

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in alaska and it would take over a week to get here. I picked some up at the hardware store that will work.

My friend has a stick welder, will that work? I was thinking of using the method of tracing the outline of the washer onto the frame and use a die grinder to cut a hole for the washer. I would then weld the washer flush with the frame. If i use the stick welder, should i remove the gas tank? I'm just not sure how all that current flows from the stick through the washer and frame. I'd hate for the gas tank to catch on fire....

Dave

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
I think you should just place the washer on top and weld it to the frame . Make sure that there is a 1 1/2 inch hole for the protrusion of the body mounts to go through. If you weld on a washer that has the hole too small, then you will be grinding that thing off to put the right size on and since your not doing a frame off you can't just drill them out like I did when I made that mistake!

Attachments

• washerpic1.jpg
    washerpic1.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 80
  • washerpic2.jpg
    washerpic2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 81
  • washerpic3.jpg
    washerpic3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 84

BeardedBlues

Contributor
In my opinion, the body mounts are too important to be taking chances on. I don't mind working outside of my comfort zone and learning as I go but I never take chances on projects that could cause life threatening circumstances. My suggestion is, if you are not a "good welder", them respect your future passengers and drop the cash on a quality job.