• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Body Weights

dtm030

Loc.
Jax Beach
I am trying to find out the difference in weights between a fiberglass tub and a steel tub so that I can get some rear leaf springs to ride accordingly. I have a fiberglass tub and I have the top off it most the time but even with the top on it rides too hard.

It has the James Duff 3.5" lift and had the dual shocks per corner but I have removed 4 of the shocks and it still rides too hard. It has a 11 pack leaf and I believe it's too much for the fiberglass body and no steel rear bar. I need to know the difference in weights so that I can get springs made to suit. Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I wouls say "Betty" is awfully Sexy dressed in red....now she needs slippers...rather than spiked heals....

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Fiberglass bodies are not significantly lighter as many people might think.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey dtm, great looking rig!
With the 11-leaf packs, you can normally remove some of the individual leaves to get a better ride. This method is used more often to lower the rear than to soften the ride though, and yours looks pretty level already from the pic.
Is that correct? Does it sit level or are you high enough in the rear to lose an inch and a half or so?

More to the point here though, what air pressure are you running in your tires?
And what shocks are you running? Duff's, or another brand? They make a huge difference in ride as well.

Also, where are you coming from, point-of-view-wise that is? In other words, are you a long-time EB owner, or are you more used to softer riding rigs and want to bring yours more up to those standards?
Big difference in perceptions of harshness with a lot of EB owners, so I thought I'd bring it up.

And last, but not least... What type of driving do you intend? Loosing too much of the firmness of the springs might make for a better ride, but it can compromise the on-road handling of a tall short vehicle, and also reduce the amount of cool and fun stuff (and people) you can carry in the back.

Good luck. Nobody likes a harsh ride. But sometimes the compromises aren't in our favor.

Paul

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I got glass body and 5.5" SL and ya it rides like a truck. I kinda enjoy the kidney punching ride sometimes. The thing for me that made the biggest difference is that a few months ago I loostened up the 6 nuts holding the rear leafs on. I had them torqued pretty high (like maybe 90 or more) I loostened them up till the nylocks were just snug. I actually was able to throw my other two shocks on the rear after that. Other than that im not sure that your ever gona get the ride you might want....I know I never will, but im ok with that.