• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

both fuel tanks leaking fuel

Steve Tool

Pulled the rear main gas tank today and found hole in the weld right where the J strap holds the tank in place. I new about the hole in the auxillary months ago. I have to make the decision whether to go back with steel or plasic molded tanks, what do you guys think? I've always wanted to keep this '74 Bronco as original as I could. Both auxillary tank and main work with the inside switches and valves, what are the advantages with the plastic tanks and the advantages of the steel tanks,

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
At least from the factory the auxiliary side tanks were always plastic with a metal skid plate. The advantage is that other than the skid plate, the tanks do not rust and barring any unforeseen accidents or screw holes, those tanks can be cleaned and re-cleaned and last practically forever.

Steel replacements mount differently and our subject to metal fatigue. But the advantages are that they are larger and fairly trouble free for the most part as long as you take care of them.

The rear replacement plastic tanks have similar advantages, but over the years I’ve heard a lot of complaints about how poorly they seal around the sending unit. Except for a factory 77 plastic tanks that is. Those worked really well.
Replacement originals seem to work pretty well and are probably coded a little bit on the inside to reduce rust. I’ve never heard of one leaking at the seam from anything that the strap caused, so maybe yours is actually rusting out from the inside. Maybe if you put a new one on you’ll never have to worry about it again.
Or we can hope anyway!