• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

bouncing and wondering steering

rutcutter

I have a 74 bronco. 3.5" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. James double shock set up. Sometimes it hits a bump and it goes a different direction. Let off on the gas and it pulls hard. Any good suggestions what to do to make it drive straight? I dont know if it was aligned when they put the lift on.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
could be a million different things here. This is the age old scenario of lifting a truck. Could be bushings, ujoints, TRE's, shocks, steering geometry, Worn out steering box, bad rag joint, etc.......could just be the road....could just be the driver.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And add TIRES to what bkn said.

And in many cases (most?) with EB's it actually works out to be all-of-the-above instead of just one item.

Good luck. As said, post up a pic of an overall view of the front end from the front so we can see the angle of the dangle.
With a 3.5" lift, you should have a dropped pitman arm and trackbar bracket at least.
But that's only a start. If you have those and your angles are good and parallel, it's on to the next things on the list.

Since you're not a contributor yet (12 bucks a year) you won't be able to post images directly to the site. You can either use an online hosting site for images and then link to them here, or even e-mail to one of us with the yellow "contributor" below their screen name and we can post it up for you.

Paul

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
Not to crash the party, but I have replaced all of my steering components. Adjustable Track bar, ball joints, converted to T style tie rod, steering box, steering shaft and joints, C bushings, radius arm bushings, removed track bar lowering bracket, drop pitman, and had it aligned. Still darts to the right on decel and to the left on accell. The angle of the dangle is as as close as possible. So to follow Paul's comments about all-of-the-above... I missed it by one... The tires.

Thunder Chicken

i went trhu this last year replaced everything on the dang truck went tro and still it was scary to drive....finally had steering box rebuilt and she drive well now

btw i have the same set up as you

donk is right its prob everything he mentioned lifting these things is not easy like a modern truck

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
i went trhu this last year replaced everything on the dang truck went tro and still it was scary to drive....finally had steering box rebuilt and she drive well now

btw i have the same set up as you

donk is right its prob everything he mentioned lifting these things is not easy like a modern truck

Come to think of it my problems started when I had my steering box rebuilt by a very reputable builder, and because my four turn box was broken they built me a six turn (by accident). So, could the six turn boxes be our secret hidden problems? Its a leverage thing!

carmi

Loc.
Oroville
Usually not as predictable but I have had loose leaf spring U bolts that caused erratic driving. Particularly if your locked in the rear. If you just had the lift installed it is normal to have to re-torque the U bolts after a 100 miles or so. Other than that I would check to make sure your trac bar is parallel with your drag link. Bump steer is very common for lifted Bronco's. New parts have little effect on poor geometry.