• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bouncy speedometer needle

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Just got back from a long trip and among the half-dozen or so rattles and chatters is the speedo needle. At high speed especially it bounces a lot, going from the real speed on up (say 60 but bouncing to 80). So the two concerns are the innacurace and the noise. The two most possible sources seem to be the gear at the t-case or the connection to the cluster.

Anyone have any insight about which source is the likely culprit and how involved the fix is?

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
In my experience there's usually more problems at the instrument cluster - of course it's easier to check the gears at the t-case, so you might start there. Could be you're speedo cable is binding a bit.

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I corrected mine by disconnecting the cable at the speedo and shooting a little lubricant down the cable.

cakedude

Loc.
Friendswood/houston,
Take the speedometer cable off the truck. Get some graphite powder (used for locks) from the hardware store. Attach a drill to one end of the cable and work the graphite down into the cable. The grapite works much better than oil. Good Luck.

Grant

OP
OP
mountain14er

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Thanks for the input. I was guessing this was one of those jobs where you just have to tear it apart and see what's up. These are good suggestions though. I know for bikes, I avoid oiling cables so I'll try that graphite.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yup, lube er up. I've never had to do so in my Bronco, but my '65 Mustang's speedometer is notorious for bouncing around every few years. A little lube and it works fine again.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
You suppose lube on a brand new cable is needed? I have the bouncing needle. Sometimes, though, it is very steady.

az_shootist

I would say lube is required. I just put in a new cable (right before reading this thread) that was noticeably dry. ...now I have a bouncing needle. Oh yeah, my last cable started bouncing about 200 miles before it snapped the inner cable, so I'm going get this lubed up soon.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
What I meant to say was, I have a new cable installed and it is still bouncing the speedo needle. I guess lube is still required for a new cable?