• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broke Easy- out in Radius Arm cap now what?

broncojack

Contributor
I snaped the bolt off that holds the spring cup in the radius arm cap. I drilled into the remaining bolt and tried to remove it with an easy -out but it snaped off. The easy- out is case hardened and I can't drill into that.Can any one give me ideas on how to remove it? Maybe weld another bolt on top?

RolledItAgain

I would try to drill it if you haven't yet. You may be able to drill it with a good quality and treated drill. Also try a reverse cut bit if you can find one (Drill cuts with a counter clockwise rotation), they will grab the remains and remove as you are drilling.
Good Luck and take it slow

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Your screwed.
its a cheap used part get another one.
if you must go to a weld shop and have them blow it out with a carbon arc rod.
if you have a cutting torch blow it out little by little then drill out the mess you have nothing to loose at this point.
You probably have to drill over size and weld up the hole and retap

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
broncojack said:
Can any one give me ideas on how to remove it? Maybe weld another bolt on top?
If the easy out is sticking out high enough definately weld a bolt or a nut on it. Heck if it sticking out that high get some vicegrips on that sucker.

trips

Loc.
Watford City, ND
broncojack said:
I snaped the bolt off that holds the spring cup in the radius arm cap. I drilled into the remaining bolt and tried to remove it with an easy -out but it snaped off. The easy- out is case hardened and I can't drill into that.Can any one give me ideas on how to remove it? Maybe weld another bolt on top?

Easy-outs are hard and brittle. Put a face sheild on. Grab your BFH and a punch, bust it into little pieces.

scotch

Loc.
Green River, Wyoming
Listen to Trips. He has obviously been there before. Broken easy outs and broken taps will usually break apart with a smart blow from a punch. Another option is a die grinder and carbide. I only do this as a last resort and only with a well used carbide as it will break a few edges on it. Good luck.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Look in the yellow pages under machine shops. There are people who specialize in the removal of broken taps etc. They will use EDM (electro discharge maching) process. Check prices first. If they have an electrode for the bolt size that is broken it will be cheaper.

I have seen prices range from $25 to $125 depending on how difficult what it is and who is doing it. May be cheaper than shipping on another radius arm.

CrazyHorse70

Loc.
Austin
If the easy out is broken off fairly flat you can probably drill it with a carbide drill bit using cutting fluid as you drill. This has worked for me in the past. Carbide material drill bits can be found at an industrial supply house (W W Grainger, etc.) or a machine shop supply house (MSC). Hope you get it out.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Re: Re: Broke Easy- out in Radius Arm cap now what?

trips said:
Easy-outs are hard and brittle. Put a face sheild on. Grab your BFH and a punch, bust it into little pieces.
This also works on busted drill bits.

When using an easy-out, peoples instinct tells them to tap it in to the hole to gain some purchase.
Never ever do this! It all but guarantees that the easy-out will break.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If you have a torch you can heat up the easyout to red hot and let it cool slowly. After you take the case hardness out of the metal by heating it, you may make it soft enough to drill through it. The heat may also unseize the broken bolt at the same time. But like rustytruck says, it might not be worth the trouble, and buying another cap could be the better way to go.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
I aint looking at the truck right now...but would it be possible to flip the cap over and drill and tap a new hole in the other side? just a thought, but i dont know if the caps and arms are symmetrical.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
you said you dirilled out the bolt then put in the easy out. Did you drill all the way through? Take the cap off and use a drift to punch it out the back side.

OK the hole doesn't go all the way through. I like the idea about just turning the cap over, but I believe there are machined surfaces involved here. So I believe this option is out as well.

Get another arm becomes high on my list. But since you are restoring a Stroppe, you probably have the original double shock setup and want to keep it. Your choices are running thin. I am guessing you are back to caveman technology. Chip and chisle if you cant get vice grips on it.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Re: Re: Re: Broke Easy- out in Radius Arm cap now what?

Skuzzlebutt said:
This also works on busted drill bits.

When using an easy-out, peoples instinct tells them to tap it in to the hole to gain some purchase.
Never ever do this! It all but guarantees that the easy-out will break.

Where the heck were you a few months back when I did this to warn me beforehand %)

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
People really expect too much from an easy out. They have a very limited use because they are just too damn hard and are for the most part too small. Guide lines I use for an easy out and I have been dealing with this stuff for 30 years as a machinsit by trade.
1. if you broke the bolt while comming out you cant just drill a hole and use an easy out, you surly will just break it. you have to do something different. Like heat it up red hot let it cool by flodding with PB Blaster do this a couple of times and get back down to cold before inserting the easy out. 50/50 probability

2. always drill through the bolt to the space under it this gives you a chance to get lubricant under and behind the bolt as you heat it up. as you heat it up it gives the trapped metal a place to go.

3. The best application for using an easy out is if you over tightened the bolt and snapped it. the bolt is realy only stuck by dirty and streched or galled threads. drill through the bolt add lubricant and go to town. 98% probability

4. If you broke the bolt because it bottomed and you snapped it you wont get it out without drastic measures like heat and you must drill through the bolt to relieve some of the end load. 50/50% probability

5. Always use a tap handle and not a wrench or cresent wrench to turn the easyout.

6. Do not use too large an easy out because if you do as it wedges up tight it will expand the bolt and lock it up even tighter. This also applies to drilling the hole off center.

7. Center punch the bolt and drill it on center with a small bit like 5/32" it is far easier to control the wander and if you miss a little with a small bit it is still just a little miss, miss a little with a larger bit and your way off. As Mel Gipson once said "aim small miss small".

For most this is too much work and unnecassary until they break an easy out in an engine block or something else much more expensive. Take your time do it right the first time and know when to quit and seek other options. remember Easyouts dont twist, if it feels like its twisting stop its going to break start drilling and tapping it is far easier to do this now than after you break an easyout in a bolt. The urge to give a little more twist will always break the easy out.

As for those advocating punching out an easy out without backside access try it some time. for the easy out to break up there must be a place for the metal to go and there isnt any You will wear it well and still punching for a long time to come. If you must, try a pnumatic hammer. You would be far better to slap the part really hard on an anvil or something like the head of a sledge hammer to use inertia and shock to break the taper lock on the easy out. but any kind of miss resulting in striking the easy out or around the hole will distort the metal and pean everything in place.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had one break off also. I took an air chissel with a pointed attachement and hit it with the point like a jack hammer. It busted up in 4 peices and fell out. they are hard and brittle so it can work. Good Luck,

Blue71

OP
OP
broncojack

broncojack

Contributor
I got it out. I first tried to punch it out but that just bent and flattened my punch. I then heated it up with a torch and then was able to drill it out. I did have to drill it and tap it out to 1/2"
threads. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Jack