• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Broken bleeder valve.. easy fix?

71intheworks

Loc.
Spokane, WA
I inherited a 71 bronco that is still waiting a heart transplant..(siezed motor). It currently has no resistance when the brake pedal is pressed (drums all the way around). I worked on it today and discovered that the passenger bleeder valve is completely broken off, and the drivers side is rounded such that I haven't been able to turn it loose. I did manage to bleed the rear brakes. The MC is showing fluid flow on the front reservoir (going to the back brakes) but not the rear reservoir.
I am new to the bronco (and in depth mechanical work), is it easy to replace the brake cyclinders at the front wheels (that would include the bleeder valve,yes? any special tools needed?).
Also after bleeding the rear, I got no improvement in pedal resistance. Does is sound like my MC is bad too? It looks like I have something hooked up after the differential valve (small booster?) that sits up by the pulley system and has one tube in and one tube out going to the carb/air intake... I couldn't find a bleeder valve on it to bleed that section of tubing.

Thanks for your input and wisdom.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
On the drivers side soak with some pb blaster
PBCatalyst.gif
for a while then clamp down on the bleeder with some visegrips
07-4053.jpg
and try to work it back and forth......slowly at first. But dont be surprized if it breaks although you might get lucky. The pass side is a different story, might be able to get a e-z-out in there but I wouldn't waste my time. The hardest part of chainging the wheel cyl is getting the brake line off it with out buggering it up.( I'm from the northeast so I'm used to rust) Again spray well all the fittings, and the tube where it goes through the fitting. then use a flair nut wrench
f2022.jpg
to try and save the fittings, and use the slow back and forth method to break the fittings free. If all goes to hell cut the line and double flair
bradystools_1736_5846300
a new piece on with a new fitting with new cyl.

You wont see fluid move from the rear of the master cyl until you open the front bleeders. If there is air trapped in the front the pedal would still be mush but expect other issues with your system but I would address the wheel cyl first then work your way back to the master cyl.

jims66

[quote author=71intheworks link=board=5;threadid=17308;start=0#msg132242 date=1052642467]

I am new to the bronco (and in depth mechanical work), is it easy to replace the brake cyclinders at the front wheels (that would include the bleeder valve,yes? any special tools needed?).
Thanks for your input and wisdom.

[/quote]

It's an easy job to replace the cylinders and pretty cheap too. Just make sure that you use flair nut wrenches and that PB Blaster that Jeepster showed you on the tube fitting.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
Story with pictures..jeepster must have been in a rather festive mood ;D

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
It's really not worth the time to salvage that 1 wheel cyl. If it is that badly rusted, replace both front wheel cylinders. Even if one of the 2 front wheel cyls still works, they should be replaced in pairs per axle. Unfortunately the drums and shoes have to come off to replace them. It helps to invest in a good pair of brake spring pliers. I did manage to do it on the trail once with a pair of vice-grips but wouldn't want to try it again.
Wear EYE Protection when working with those springs.

BH

OP
OP

71intheworks

Loc.
Spokane, WA
Wow, thank you for the great replies.... Pictures are worth a thousand words when you are still learning the lingo....

I did pick up a smaller pair of vice grips, now just need to get the flair nut wrenches and some PB Blaster.. (is pb blaster a good replacement for liquid wrench as an all purpose penetrating fluid?)

Oh, ya I also need to find a special lugnut adapter as one lugnut on each wheel has an inset octogon (or possibly hexagon)

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
Pb blaster is a very good one but dont beat yourself if you cant find it, liquid wrench will do. Work with what you got. ;) The lugs can be removed by taking a 12 point deep socket of the right size and pounding on the lug so it "bites" and then turn it off. ( use a craftsman in case you mess it up, can return it for another ;) ) I would say use an impact socket but I think their only 6 point.

jims66

Walmart sells PB Blaster. Everyone has a Walmart somewhere near them.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Hell, if you REALLY wanted to dive into things you could just do a disc brake conversion up front. I did, and it was the first real meaty thing I did. I just read a lot and asked questions. Then, ya never have to deal with drums again!! ;D

OP
OP

71intheworks

Loc.
Spokane, WA
Thanks again for the advice jeepster... I used this monster rachet set and had no problems removing the key'd lugs.
jpg.jpg

Although I did have one interesting result... this weight (I think) fell off of the drum and I'm not sure how much it is needed?
jpg.jpg

OP
OP

71intheworks

Loc.
Spokane, WA
So much for my MSN shared web space account.. let's try this again with another site.

Thanks again for the advice jeepster... I used this monster rachet set and had no problems removing the key'd lugs.
KeydLugnutBreaker.jpg

Although I did have one interesting result... this weight (I think) fell off of the drum and I'm not sure how much it is needed?
PieceoffDrum.jpg

66horse

Bronco Guru
when you put new bleeder in did you go with a speed bleeder? They are way better.